Episode 6: Part 1 - Back in Black

Your P.O.V

You chewed your waffle thoughtfully as you sat at the table with Beth, Morty, Summer, and Jerry.  "So Morty.  We've talked to your teachers and we think we need to sign you up for after school classes."  Beth said.  Morty looked up from next to you, mouth packed full of syrupy goodness.  "Wmmmf mfffff!"  He said.  Jerry didn't look up from the paper he was reading.  "Morty what did we say about talking with your mouth full."  Morty paused a minute and swallowed.  "But mom w-wha, w-why do I have to take more classes?"  Beth glared at him.  "No buts.  Your grades are low enough as it is.  I just think some extra help might be good for you.

Before the conversation could continue, Rick walked into the room, cup of coffee in hand.  "M-morning sweet pea."  He said, kissing Beth on the head.  Then he walked over to Morty.  "Shoo shoo."  Morty hopped out of his seat and make his way over to the seat next to Summer who was texting nonstop the entire breakfast.  Rick set down his cup next to you.  "Mornin babe."  He said, kissing you on the mouth.  Beth tilted her head.  "Awwwwww."  "Mornin sexy."  You replied.  Rick clapped his hands together as he looked at the heaping pile of waffles in the center of the table.  "Well well well what do we have here?  Waffles?"  You nodded.  "Beth made them all by herself isn't she just amazing."  Rick grabbed a clean plate and began piling the food onto it.  "I'm so proud of you honey."  He said to her.  Beth beamed with pride.

As Rick began to eat, you became lost in thought again, poking your fork into the waffle remnants on your plate.  "Full already?"  Beth asked.  You shook your head and smiled.  "Not at all honey.  Just thinking...". After a moment you looked up at Rick.  "Hey sweetie do you still talk to Birdperson and Sqanchy?"  "Why?"  "Well when I was stuck in that... simulator the other day with a version of you and the rest of the band."  Beth suddenly perked up, interested.  "Mom you were in a band?"  Then she raised a skeptical eyebrow.  "And what's this about a simulator?"  You chuckled and waved your hand dismissively.  "Oh I just meant dream sweetie.  Anyway your father and I were both in a band... he never told you?"  Beth shook her head and Jerry chuffed and looked up from his paper.  "Why am I not surprised."  Rick glared at his son-in-law.  "Oh I'm sorry I gave you a little scare Jerry.  I'm f*cking sorry that in all my crazy adventures to different dimensions I forgot to tell my daughter about some band I was in!"  "He has a point."  Summer said indifferently, still texting on the phone.   "Thank you Summer."  Rick said, glaring at Jerry.  Jerry opened his mouth to protest but could think of nothing.  He glanced at Beth for support but she just stared blankly into her wine as she swished it around the glass.  "You've already lost honey." 

Jerry got up, defeated.  Leaving the room you could hear him mumble under his breath.  "He prob... better relationship with band.... Family."   Rick stood up and called after him.  "Well Jerry at least I have a better relationship with my daughter than you do with your parents!  H-how's your mom's lover doing?"  You looked up confused.  "Wait what?"  Rick sat back down and added a decent amount of alcohol from his canteen into his coffee.  "Trust me."  He burped.  "You don't wanna know."  You continued to eat your waffles in silence.  "You two better get going before you're late for school."  Beth said before disappearing into the kitchen to wash a plate.  Summer rolled her eyes and sighed.  "Alright.  Whatever."  Morty glanced cautiously at Rick, probably expecting him to call him on an adventure.

"Don't worry.  I'll keep your grandpa busy today.  It's been a while since we've made memories just on our own."  You placed your hand on Rick's shoulder.  Rick lowed his coffee mug from his mouth, which was now shaped in a duck face as his eyes widened.  Morty scrunched up his face in discust.  "Ew grandma!"  You narrowed your eyes.  "Not like that!  Morty I know boys your age have fantasies but that it NOT what I meant!  I just meant Rick and I were going on adventure on our own today!"    Morty related a bit.  "O-oh...". He mumbled, embarrassed.  You shooed him away with your hands.  "Now get to school young man!"  Morty quickly fled the room and you turned to Rick you was clearing his throat awkwardly.  It seemed both Rick and Morty had thought the same and now Rick was chocking in shock.

You frowned at him as he slowly recovered.  "You done?"  You asked.  Rick cleared his throat one more time.  "Yea...". He managed to mumble.  You rested your head in your hand as your elbow rested on the rough wood of the table.  Rick raised an eyebrow.  "So what did you want to do today?  Cause in all honestly it really has been to long since we did it."  You narrowed your eyes yet again.  "You seemed to do fine all those years I was stuck in that Council's place."  "The Citadel."  Rick corrected.  "ANNNNYYYWWWAYY."  You said a bit louder.  "I was wondering if we could go hang out with Birdperson and Sqanchy.  That is... if they're still alive."  Rick nodded.  "S-suuuuuurrrree."  He burped.  Just then Beth walked in and Rick patted his chest with his fist.  "Thanks for the wonderful meal sweetie.  Me and Y/N here are going to go out for a bit, meet up some old friends."  Beth nodded enthusiastically, beaming with pride from the compliments.  "Alright.  You have fun you two!"  As she grabbed your empty plates and made her way back to the kitchen you heard her mumble.  "Stupid Jerry... that hard to go out with me... without barfing...making a scene.  Want relationship like parents..."

A/N: Hope you guys enjoyed this week's chapter!  I'm sorry I'm posting so late in the day but all the same... Anyway, just a few weeks left before school starts up again.  Not sure how much longer this story will go on for.  Not anytime soon I promise.  I still have plenty of ideas.  Have a great day!
~ <3 <3 ApocalypseRaccoon (The year is 2101...)