Visit

Chapter 4
•••
•••
•••
"I haven't seen you smile so bright in the last seven years", Sarah grins and nudges her son's side. "I know... I'm just glad, that he's back", Steve shrugs and smiles slightly. "He had a cut on his lip, right? It looked like it", Sarah asks and drinks a bit. "Yeah, uhm... Alexander hit him, I think", Steve answers silently. "What?", his mother asks shockedly. "This man is a threat to himself and his family..."

"I couldn't believe it either, but Bucky seemed to be used to it, which is even worse", the blond mumbles and sighs. "Alexander changed, when they got the condolence letter, he turned to alcohol. But I didn't think, that it influenced him this much", she says and leads Steve a bit further away from the group. "You helped him, right?" "Of course, Mom. I'd be a horrible friend, if I didn't", Steve says. "Good, good. We'll visit them as soon as your father's back to health", Sarah says and pulls him towards the exit. "Why do you want to go so suddenly", the prince asks but follows her. "I need time to think, and it's too busy here", she answers calmly. They enter the car and Steve easily falls asleep after a few minutes, cars always had a secure feeling for him.

A few days later

James saunters down the stairs to the library. He didn't have a nightmare since the dance and for the first time in years he slept a night through without awaking to the tiniest noise. He opens the giant wooden doors and almost dances down the few steps to go to the piano. "This early?", a disembodied voice asks and Bucky turns around to see Rebecca. "Don't you want to eat breakfast first?"

"Good morning to you, too. And no, thanks, I'll eat later", he grins and sits down on the padded stool. "Any wishes?" "Chopin's spring waltz", she grins and leaves the doors open, as she makes her way to the dining hall, so she can still hear him play their favourite piece. Bucky continues playing different pieces for a while, much to the delight of his mother and most of the servants.

About an hour later he stands up again and goes to eat breakfast when his phone buzzes. He takes it out of his pocket and grins. 'Can we visit next week? -Steve'

"As if I didn't have his number", Bucky chuckles and jogs up to the second floor. He knocks on his mother's door. His parents have always had seperated rooms, because they needed some time for themselves sometimes. "Yes? Who is it?", she asks. "It's me, Bucky", he answers. "Come in, what is it?", his mother answers. Bucky enters the room, still grinning and shows her his phone. "Well, did you answer already?", she asks, smiling at his obvious excitement. It's almost as if she had him back, the excited boy he was, before he went to war. "No, I wanted to ask beforehand", Bucky answers a bit awkward. "Then tell him yes, we'll ready everything. Should he get a room on your floor?", Winifred says and starts planning things out in her head.

Bucky hesitates. What, if he has nightmares again? What would happen, if he screams? His mother looks at him and sighs. "You don't have to let him stay upstairs, you know that", she says softly. "Yes... But... I'll just ask him", Bucky says and quickly leaves the room.

"He answered, Mom", Steve yells through the hall happily. He's been helping with everything that came up, even more so than usual, so that his mother and the servants had more time to nurse his father back to health. "What'd he say?", Sarah asks, walking across the hallway to her son. "He said yes, and that we can stay however long we want", Steve answers smiling. "Is Dad gonna come with us?"

"He'll stay a day, as always. We can't just leave the kingdom to itself", Sarah answers. "We should start packing, so we won't forget anything." "It's still four days to monday", Steve chuckles. "Then you should hurry, maybe we can surprise them and come a day early. I'll talk to Winifred, I'm sure Bucky would be positively surprised", Sarah grins. "Really?", her son asks, disbelieving. "Of course, go and pack", she giggles.