Secrets and Music

Chapter 12
•••
•••
•••
"Are ya just gonna sit there?", Bucky asks and grins slightly. "Mhh, no", Steve says and stands up. He carefully wraps his arms around Bucky's waist and grins. "That was usually my part", the brunet laughs and washes out his mouth. "We'll just switch every once in a while", Steve suggests and they walk over to Bucky's bed. "Sounds good", the other mumbles and crawls onto the bed. Steve silently lies down next to him and they fall asleep facing eachother in an awkward hug.

Steve wakes up to the smell of coffee and sits up yawning. "Buck?", he asks and rubs his eyes. "Good morning, Steve", Bucky grins and moves the tray over to him. "Coffee?" The blond starts smiling and takes the offered cup. "What time is it?", he asks and drinks a sip. "8:20", Bucky smiles and watches as the morning sun reflects on Steve's hair. It almost looks white like this. He looks back down at his cup, his hands, his left hand shimmering in the bit of light that gets to it.

Steve follows Bucky's gaze and carefully takes his metal hand. "Can you feel with it?", he asks, drawing circles on Bucky's palm. "Kinda, yes... I can differentiate between things, weigh things out. Soft and hard, hot and cold, textures and affiliation. A dog's fur, for example. But I can't feel pain, it's weird", James explains and smiles slightly at Steve's curiousness. "I can feel that, though", he adds and clasps his fingers around Steve's.

They empty their cups after a while of cuddling. Steve leaves to get ready for the day and Bucky takes a shower as well. Steve dries his hair while picking out something to wear. He takes jeans and a red sweatshirt and sits down on his bed after getting dressed. "We're gonna tell them", he mumbles and falls down on the mattress. "Oh god..."

Meanwhile Bucky changed into a black hoodie and grey pants, his hair still dripping wet. He's avoiding the mirrors. He's nervous, and if he looked at himself for longer now, he'd lose it. The prince walks over to his bathroom and quickly dries his hair. "Bucky?", Steve asks and takes the hair drier out of the brunet's hands. "You're shivering." "Yes? Oh, I... I don't know, I'm nervous." Steve puts the drier away and smiles.

"I think it's dry enough anyway, let's just grab some breakfast", he says and Bucky nods slowly. "Let's tell them before lunch", he suggests and breathes deeply on their way to the stairs. "Sounds good", Steve smiles. The princes stay close to eachother while they walk down the stairs but quickly get a step between eachother when Michael crosses their way. "Good morning, Bucky", he says and nods towards Steve.

"Up already?", Bucky asks surprisedly and Michael nods slowly. "Your father had a loud comeback last night, through our ward's entrance. You can be glad to have those damned doors, man", he answers and rubs his temples. "Not to mention, that he wan-", Michael continues but Bucky cuts him off. "My father came back over night?", he asks shockedly and Michael nods confusedly. "Oh goodness, this is horrible."

"He wants to talk to me between 10 and 12 anyway, James, don't worry too much", Michael says, pats Bucky's shoulder briefly and leaves again. The brunet turns to Steve in despair; this isn't good. "Buck, it's okay. Shh, it's okay", Steve says silently and retrieves the hug Bucky pulled him into. "So, you heard it", Winifred says as she walks down the stairs. Steve lets go of Bucky once the queen takes her son's hand. "I'll be there, yes?"

Bucky sighs and nods. He can't fathom how much he hates this kind of situations, choosing the lesser of two evils. They walk into the dining room, the boys behind Hydra's queen as if it was their safe space. "Dear, good morning", Alexander greets before he notices the princes behind her. "James, since when do you attend meals punctually?", he asks dryly, which causes Bucky to swallow hard. "I didn't see the need to not accompany our guests", the prince answers.

"I asked him to come", Steve says smiling politely, but not truthfully. "Politeness often wins over physical force." Bucky shoots a troubled glare at the blond. 'How could he dare to say that?! Steve, please don't risk your well being', he thinks, his thoughts panicked. "True words", Winifred says before any of the men can speak up. Steve and Bucky sit down in the chairs farthest away from Hydra's king.