Once for Yes, Twice for No

Chapter 34
•••
•••
•••
Bucky is awake and can hear what they're saying. He hears his sister sniffling and tries to force himself to move, but to no avail. 'Fuck', he thinks and sighs in his thoughts. 'The fucking pills were the lightest they had at the pharmacy, far from strong. What the actual hell happened?' He's upset. "You have to wake up, Jamie... Stay calm, let your body break down those chemicals", Winifred whispers, using the nickname they used before Steve came up with calling him Bucky.

'I know... What would I give for you to hear me, Ma. I don't know, how this happened. I'm so sorry', Bucky thinks, feeling sad and guilty. He promised so many people that he'd be careful, that something like this would never happen again. "Steve is coming over. Rebecca called him. He's coming here as fast as he can", Winifred says and caresses Bucky's hand. "You'll be fine, darling." James nods in his thoughts and laughs at himself afterwards. 'Can't wait to move again', he thinks.

Steve arrives four hours later and Winifred already left to pack some things for Bucky. She puts his phone, charger and some clothes into a bag and sighs. "Oh James, what did you do", she mumbles and decides to bring the package of the sleeping pills he took as well. Steve walks to the room with the number Rebecca told him and knocks. Rebecca opens the door and hugs him tightly. Steve hugs back and rests his head on top of hers. "He'll be fine", Steve whispers.

"He's gone through so much, this won't stop him", he adds and holds her until she calms down. "Thanks for coming", Rebecca mumbles. "Of course. I couldn't have stayed home", Steve answers. He walks to Bucky's bedside and sighs. He watches his boyfriend. 'He looks like he's sleeping... So peaceful', Steve thinks, eventhough the whole situation seems like an odd nightmare to him. He takes Bucky's hand and sighs. 'If it wasn't for the tubes in his nose, it wouldn't look so serious.'

"He said that you talked about... You know...", Rebecca says carefully and watches Steve. "Hm? Oh, yes", he answers and shrugs slightly. "He told me about it two days ago." They stay quiet and Rebecca decides to get some air. She stayed with Bucky the entire time. Hydra's princess walks outside and gets herself something to drink. She's glad that her father hasn't visited the hospital yet. When she comes back, Steve still hasn't really moved. He takes the water she offers gratiously.

"I was mad at him... I didn't let him know, he looked so broken. But I was so angry", Steve says, keeping Bucky's hand in his. "It's understandable, Steve. He wouldn't blame you and neither do I", Rebecca answers calmly. "Yeah, but... I wasn't mad because he cheated, I still don't consider it to really be cheating. I couldn't be angry or sad because of that. No, I was mad because he didn't call to tell me about what your father did to him", Steve explains sternly.

"So, you're angry because Bucky didn't tell you about Dad's pressuring?", Hydra's princess asks. "Mhm. I would've come over without hesitating, had he just told me about those..., uhm, interrogations", the blond answers and nods. He puts the bottle away without drinking. They stay silent for some minutes, only the machines' whirring is heard. "He has to wake up soon", Steve whispers after a quarter of an hour. "I need him back." "He needs you, too, Steve", Becca says silently.

"He loves you", she adds. "And I love him, and he has to know that every day", Lehigh's prince says and moves to touch Bucky's cheek gently. He then leans down to kiss his boyfriend briefly. James listened to their conversation carefully and smiles in his thoughts. He could feel the kiss. 'That's already more feeling than I had the last time', he thinks gladly. He hears Rebecca laughing the next second. "Did you see that?", she asks, grinning widely. "No, what?", Steve asks. "The heart rate jumped for a second, when you kissed him", Rebecca answers.

"Really?", Steve asks and smiles. "Yes", Rebecca chuckles. "Let's try again", Steve says and kisses Bucky again, longer this time. 'Steve, you idiot, stop it', James thinks, though the sensation makes him want more. "Again", Rebecca announces and Steve moves away. He laughs and caresses Bucky's cheek. "I love you, too, Buck", he says with a grin. The door opens and Winifred walks inside, looking at them startled. "What made you two laugh?", she asks and smiles slightly.