Preparations

Chapter 23
•••
•••
•••
They put away their costumes and walk downstairs to the living room. "James, I have to talk to you for a second", Winifred says as soon as her son enters the room. "Uhm, sure", Bucky answers confusedly and follows his mother to the hallway, after a quick look at Steve. The blond shrugs and sits down beside Rebecca on one of the sofas. "What is it?", Hydra's prince asks and tilts his head lightly. "Is it about Dad?" "Yes, Bucky, yes it is", his mother sighs and sits down on the stairs.

"Mom, are you okay?", the prince asks worriedly and takes a quick step towards her. "Yes, yeah... It was just a little stressful today, dear", Winifred answers and her sleeves slide up a bit. Bucky squints slightly and sits down next to her, taking her hand and moving the sleeve back further. "Mom, where did you get these bruises? He did it, right?", the brunet questions and gets angry again. Angry at his father, for being so inconsiderate, for being such an asshole.

"James, he didn't intend to hurt me. He panicked and tried to wake me, don't blame him", Winifred responds silently and tucks on her sleeve to move it down. "Oh, I do blame him quite a lot", he counters immediately and stands up again, walking a few steps to calm down. "James, please", his mother tries, but he cuts her off right away. "Don't call me that! Don't say my name as if it was the only way to get to me", Bucky says loudly and gestures overwhelmedly.

"What did you want to talk about?", Hydra's prince asks after a few seconds, breaking the silence. "He said, in case he doesn't come back this time, you should not take the throne before next year. That I should reign until then, with Rebecca's and your help", his mother says and watches him incisively. "Anything else?", Bucky enquires and sighs deeply. "He asked, while you were at the mountains, why you and Steve were so eager to spend time alone."

Bucky's eyes widen in shock. 'Oh no. Please no', he thinks, panicked. "I told him, that you wanted to catch up on those eight years of friendship you missed. He laughed and accepted it, Bucky. He didn't notice yet", Winifred finishes and hugs her son gently. "He'll be furious, when he finds out, Ma", the brunet whispers and hugs her back carefully. "I know, I know", Winifred replies and strokes over his back. "Maybe you should visit Asriel for a while, over in Europe."

Bucky moves away and keeps his mother at arm's length, looking at her startled. "Why would I visit Asriel?", he asks and raises an eyebrow. "Because Baron Asriel is your uncle, James. And he's a lot more accepting, than your father. But he could calm Alexander down, when the need arises. He did it before", Hydra's queen answers, brushing Bucky's hair back gently. "She's there with him, right? She went overseas with Asriel?", the prince questions.

"Yes, Bucky. What do you think?", his mother answers and smiles slightly. "Sounds alright, I guess. Let's go back, we've talked enough", the brunet sighs and turns around. "I hope, that I didn't ruin your day, dear", Winifred says and follows her son. "No worries", Bucky replies and they enter the living room. Bucky sits down next to Steve and takes the tea the blonde hands him. "Everything alright?" "Yes, of course", Bucky smiles and kisses Steve's temple.

"Oh, I missed seeing such young love", Eleanore cheers and causes the princes to laugh. "Grandma...", Steve complains, but can't hide his grin. "Steven, I will not stop embarassing you until one of us leaves this place", the former queen answers and calmly drinks some of her tea. "I don't mind", Bucky chuckles and Steve lightly hits his arm. "Ow", the blond grumbles and rubs his knuckles. "Wrong side, Stevie", James grins and Rebecca chuckles lightly. "I know", Steve sighs.

They stay in the living room for a while and talk about things that don't even remotely have to do with Hydra, which Bucky is quite glad about. "Buck, I wanna cuddle", Steve mumbles after a while and nudges the brunet softly. James opens his arms and Steve cuddles up to him happily. "Thanks", the blonde smiles and notices their parents, Eleanore and Rebecca grinning as well. 'If Alexander could accept it like them, everything would be fine', he thinks.