Love is a gift

Chapter 38
•••
•••
•••
Steve goes to bed early, cuddling with Farren. He sleeps tightly and wakes up to a call from Bucky. "Morning, Buck", he mumbles and yawns. "Good morning, sunshine. How are you?", James answers. He played video games with Peter until 1 am and woke up at 8, due to the sun. "I'm good. Farren's sleeping on my chest and the twins haven't found my room yet", Steve answers. "What about you?" "A little tired. But it's better to enjoy the morning before my father gets home", Bucky answers and puts the phone on speaker while pulling his red hoodie over his head.

"Right... Just keep out of his way and tomorrow afternoon we can stay outta his way together", Steve says and pushes Farren off of him gently. "Good plan", Bucky answers and heads downstairs. "We're celebrating this evening. Presents and all. You always did it on the 25th, right? In the morning?" "Yes, exactly", Steve answers and stands up, stretching. "Should I save some cookies for you?", James asks and almost trips. He holds onto the railing and sits down on the stairs. "That'd be great", Lehigh's prince answers.

They end the call and Steve goes to take a shower. He puts on dark jeans and a soft hoodie he found in the depths of his closet. "I'll get your breakfast upstairs, little guy", he says, when Farren scratches on the door and meows. Steve kneels down and grins. "If the twins find you, you won't have a peaceful minute anymore." The cat sneezes and walks off, crawling under the bed. The blond nods satisfiedly and leaves his room. He eats breakfast with his parents and uncle, while the others are still sleeping, and then takes some cat food back with him.

Meanwhile, Bucky and Alice go to the library, both with a cup of coffee in their hands. "Is Steven aware that we're all here?", she asks and sits down in an armchair. "Yes, I told him. He's excited to meet everyone", Bucky answers and drinks a bit of his coffee. "But he's kind of appalled by the fact that Father's coming back. The last days were so calm." His grandmother nods understandingly and takes James' hand. "He won't dare to make a wrong move while Asriel and I are here, Jimmy. He doesn't want to experience the backlash that would follow", she says.

James nods and smiles faintly. "I hope you're right... I'd love to have peaceful christmas days", he says. They stay in the library, talking about which presents they got for the others and joke around. 'This is wonderful. If only it could always be this nice', Bucky thinks. He feels safe. Asriel walks in some time later and smiles just a little. "Alex is back. He said, he'd like to see all of us at lunch later", he says and sits down with them. "That won't be a problem", Alice says. "But if he misbehaves, I won't tolerate it, so help me god."

Bucky and Asriel look at eachother and then back at her. "Alright", Asriel says and nods. "He probably already considered that." "I dearly hope so", Alice answers and stands up. She leaves the room to talk to Winifred and May. "Did he say anything else?", Bucky asks and frowns. "He complained about the cabin, nothing else", Asriel says. James sighs and stares at the ceiling. "At least we can all go through this together and don't have to face his bad mood alone", he mumbles. About an hour later, they all eat lunch together in silence.

Peter looks at Alexander from time to time, the king only introduced himself briefly. He can see now, why Asriel told him that Alexander looks like he behaves. "So, as every year, I suggest we will eat dinner before the presents are opened", Hydra's king says. "You didn't need to announce that", Winifred answers, while James just nods. "We know", Asriel adds and grins. "Didn't change the habit." Alexander glares at his brother and huffs in annoyance. "Now, don't sulk because of that remark, Alex", Alice says sternly, warning her son.

They finish the meal and Bucky goes upstairs with Peter, who decided to move his stuff to the fourth floor. "Time to get ready", Bucky mumbles and grins at Peter's confused expression. "Christmas service at church. Asriel told you to pack something formal, didn't he?" "Ohh", Peter laughs. "Yes. Yes, of course." "Then get dressed", James says and enters his room. He winds up the music box and listens to it while choosing a suit to wear. He takes a pitch black one with a dark green button down and a grey tie. Ten minutes later, he helps Peter to tie his tie correctly.