The Wedding

Chapter 49
•••
•••
•••
The next day, Steve leaves Lehigh fairly early and arrives at Hydra's castle before Allison. He sneaks into the living room and hugs Bucky tightly. The brunet flinches and gasps. "Steve, holy shit", he says and sinks down, inadvertantly taking his fiancé to the floor with him. "Sorry", Steve answers and kisses his cheek. "I dislike getting scared and you know that", Bucky says. They stand up and Bucky turns to face Steve. "I thought you heard me coming", the blond admits and looks around. "Where's your family?" "They're in the library, my mom wanted to talk about gifts so we're not allowed to disturb them", James says.

"What about your aunt?", Steve asks. "She's not here yet. Let's get your suitcase inside, hm? I've got to tell you something, when we're in my room", Bucky answers. Ten minutes later Steve is unpacking his suits and greatfully takes one of the silver pocketsquares. "What is it that you wanted to tell me?", he asks and sits down on the edge of Bucky's bed. "A family secret. I didn't know, when to tell you, but it seems to be the right time", Hydra's prince answers. He grabs the swivel chair from his desk and sits down in front of Steve. "Please, go ahead then", the blond smiles, thrilled that he is going to be considered family even more in just a day's time.

"I wasn't my parents' first child. I had a twin. He was a few minutes older than me", James starts and sighs. "The first pictures ever taken of 'me' that made it into the newspapers were of him. He seemed to be in a better place health-wise and the doctors didn't give me long, so my parents never said a word about having twin boys. But the doctors were wrong, he died just two weeks later and nobody who isn't family ever knew about it", he continues, then pauses. Steve is speechless and stares at him in silence. "Oh, Buck", he mumbles after a few seconds and hugs Bucky gently. "It's fine, Steve. I mean, if my mom hadn't told me, I wouldn't know about it either", James says.

"It's so weird to think about it, though. What was his name?", Steve says and caresses Bucky's cheek. "He was named after my father and great-grandfather, so whenever we talk about him, we just call him Junior", Hydra's prince answers and smiles slightly. "He would've taken the throne, if he was still alive. Which would make life immensely easier for us", he adds. Steve can't hold back a chuckle and looks into Bucky's eyes. "Were you identical twins?", he asks. "Yes", James nods. "Well, that would make life harder for me", the blond says. "Why?", Bucky asks, grinning. "If he was alive, there would be two very handsome men around here", Steve smiles.

Bucky smiles and kisses his fiancé. "Let's go downstairs. Allison should arrive soon", he whispers. They walk to the entrance hall and Steve looks at the already decorated walls. "I didn't think it would look this beautiful", he says. "It's wonderful, isn't it? The ballroom looks even better, but we're not entirely done yet", Bucky says and takes Steve's hand. "Shall we?" "By all means", Lehigh's prince grins. Bucky shows him the ballroom and explains what is still missing. "I guess, we'll finish that today?", Steve asks and James nods. "It's gonna be the most amazing day. When's the ceremony starting again?"

"At eleven. We'll be done around 1pm and then we'll dine here. After that, we can change into the other suits and just celebrate", Bucky answers. They go back to the entrance hall, just in time to open the doors to Allison. "We heard the car", James grins. "That's actually great", Allison says and looks over her shoulder. "Incoming." A few seconds later her children run past her and hug Bucky. "Hello, you two", he says and glances up at his aunt. "I told them where we were going and why. They demanded to see a picture of you, so I showed them", she says and shrugs. She turns to Steve and holds out her hand.

"It's nice to meet you again, Steve. Haven't seen you since you were a kid." Steve laughs and shakes her hand. "Pleasure's all mine", he says. Ilona and Hayden let go off Bucky and grin up at him. "What is it?", Hydra's prince asks. "Who of you will wear the dress?", Ilona asks and Bucky starts laughing. "Neither of us, I'm afraid", he chuckles. They greet Allison's husband and direct them to the library. "Mom and Asriel initiated a super secret meeting to discuss presents", Bucky says. He and Steve finish decorating the hallway and ballroom with Rebecca's help, as she grew tired of talking about gifts.