A new beginning

Chapter 51
•••
•••
•••

A week later Bucky is sitting, surrounded by a bunch of doctors, scientists, and the wakandan prince he was introduced to in their teens, in a sterile room in a hospital in Liberty. Steve comes in and kisses him gently as the doctors connect wires and patches to Bucky's arms and head, though neither of the princes really understand their purpose. "I have to wait outside, Bucky. But you're in good hands", Steve says. "I know. I'm not six. Go, get a coffee or something", James answers and smiles. He's afraid, but he would never admit it to Steve. The blond nods and sighs. He'll sit right outside the door the whole time because he doesn't want to be too far away from Bucky.

Steve leaves the room and settles down on one of the few, blue-painted, wooden chairs. "I love you, Buck. I love you", he whispers. The doctors push Bucky back gently. "You need to relax a bit more, James", Doctor Murray says and pats the prince's shoulder. "You'll be okay." James nods and closes his eyes. He doesn't know what happens after, but he hears himself screaming and whincing in pain, though he can't feel it consciously. Steve flinches with every scream, every groan he can hear through the closed doors. Tears fill his eyes and he buries his face in his hands. He feels guilty for that pain his husband is going through, because he suggested the procedure.

Over an hour later the doors open and one of the scientists looks down at Steve. "He's exhausted, but everything worked out fine. We'll give you an hour together, then we'll continue with the mechanical part of this", the man says. And as Steve walks into the room everyone else leaves. The doors close and Steve almost throws himself at Bucky, sobbing into his husband's chest. "Hey, Stevie. Why are you crying?", the brunet whispers and strokes over the other's back. "I'm fine. I can...think...better. Clearer. I can remember. It's wonderful, sunshine. Please stop crying. I love your present. I love you", James murmurs.

"Your screams, Buck. I heard everything. You sounded like you- you were in so much pain. I had to leave for a few minutes. It sounded so bad", Steve answers, his voice stiffled by his irregular breathing. He looks up and caresses Bucky's face. "What can you remember?" James smiles at him, though he looks tired. "Everything. Everything the organisation couldn't recover from before. Everything that happened during...Winter, too", he says, followed by a yawn. "We can bust that organisation now. It's called Sputnik." Steve starts to smile hesitantly and sniffles a little. Bucky leans forward and points to a box of tissues.

Steve follows the wordless suggestion and wipes his eyes and cleans his nose. "We'll ruin them for what they did to you", he says. "Yes", Bucky nods. He pulls Steve into a hug and sighs. "I'll take a nap, Stevie. I'm tired." "Okay", the blond whispers. He watches the brunet sleep, relieved that he feels better now. A knock on the door startles him, but as Doctor Murray and T'Challa walk in he calms down. "He wanted to rest. He said he feels a lot better thanks to you", Steve says. "That's our job", Murray says. "We are happy to help. He is a good man", T'Challa adds calmly. He heads to the next room and returns with the new plates for Bucky's arm.

"Vibranium. And a better circuit. The metal is lighter and more durable, but as it only replaces the part with the star, it's not the most important modification", the wakandan prince says. Murray grins at Steve and cautiously takes a small chip, not bigger than a square centimeter. "The real change lies in this. Metal lets go of heat faster than skin and muscles", Doctor Murray explains. "The chip will regulate the heat. The arm will not heat up in summer, under the sun, and I won't cool down in winter, but maintain a comfortable temperature at all times", T'Challa continues and takes the chip from the doctor.

Steve listens in awe and smiles. "That's amazing. I can't thank you enough for what you're doing", he says. Anybody could've heard the sincerity in his voice. Bucky grumbles and blinks himself awake. He looks at the metallic plates and grins. "They look great", he says. Murray nods proudly, while T'Challa just smiles subtly. "We'll have to sedate you, James. Is that okay?", Doctor Murray says and fills up a syringe. "Yeah, sure", Bucky says and holds out his right arm. He feels the needle pierce his skin and grins at Steve before dozing off. The rest of the specialists come back and Steve is sent outside.