Stag Nights and Storks

Chapter 47
•••
•••
•••

Bucky wakes up at three am, wondering if he can count the past nightmare-filled hours as sleep. He stands up, swaying slightly as he walks to the balcony to get some fresh air. He breathes in deeply and looks around in the damp darkness. He can hear an owl somewhere in the distance and sinks down, sitting on the cold ground with his back against the railing. "As they get less, they get worse", he mumbles and closes his eyes. 'Did I scream?', he thinks and swishes the thought away quickly. He stays on the balcony for five minutes, then goes back to bed and hugs a pillow to comfort himself. He sleeps through until eight.

Steve is already getting ready for the long drive and Eleanore happily volunteers to stay home with Farren. "Steven, move it", Joseph says as he walks past his son. "Sorry", the prince says and grabs his jacket before leaving. He calls Bucky once they're in the car. "Good morning, Buck. Are you still nervous?", Steve smiles. "Mh, no. I guess the nightmare was my mind's version of compensating the nervousness, sunshine", James answers and puts his phone on speaker while he ties his tie. "Was it bad?", Steve asks. "Yeah, but I'm alright. Don't worry", Bucky says. "You're in the car, aren't you?" "Yes. I suppose you're leaving soon?", the blond says.

"In half an hour", Bucky says and takes up the phone. "See you there, baby." "See you, love", Steve answers and they end the call. An hour long car ride later, Bucky approaches his fiancé from behind. He covers the blond's eyes with his hands and grins. "Prince Steven", he says and Steve laughs. "Hey, Bucky", he answers and turns around. They share a quick hug before Natasha pulls them to the group of their friends, who all congratulate them. "We already sent out the invitations, but they might take a bit to arrive", Steve says and gets drinks for Bucky and himself. "Thanks", James says and smiles.

Half an hour later Steve decides to search for Sam, and Bucky excuses himself to let them talk for themselves. In the restroom, he hears the door open and looks up to see Rumlow approaching him in the mirror. "What is it?", Hydra's prince asks and turns around after drying his hands. Suddenly Brock presses him against the wall, their lips meeting softly, leaving James in shock. "What the fuck, Rumlow?", he exclaims and wipes his mouth. "Come on, Barnes. It wasn't bad, was it?", the black haired man answers, almost hopeful. "I am engaged, Brock. What are you thinking?", Bucky retorts.

"I wanted to do that for years, James. I never knew, you went both ways as well", Rumlow smirks, moving closer again. "I'm certainly not going your way anymore", Bucky answers and steps back until he is stopped by the wall once more. "Did you?", Brock hums and James swallows thickly. "When we were at school, yes. But not anymore", he says. "So, you favored me to Steve?", Rumlow asks lowly. "No. You were second", Bucky whispers. His muscles tense due to the lack of space between them. "Move away", Hydra's prince warns as he feels Rumlow's hands on him again.

"You're not married yet, why don't we-", Brock doesn't come further as he is pulled away forcefully. "Stop touching my fiancé, Brock", Steve says furiously. "Woah, calm down, Rogers", Rumlow answers, raising his hands. "Steve, don't", Bucky pleas, watching them. "See? He doesn't want you to hurt me", the black haired prince muses. "Okay, no. Do what you want", Bucky says promptly. The shock faded away enough, now he feels anger burning inside him. A blink of an eye later, Rumlow is on the ground with a broken, bleeding nose. Steve pulls him back up and pins him to the wall.

"If I ever catch you trying something like that again, you won't get out of the hospital for months", Steve growls and Brock looks at him surprisedly. "I didn't know, you could get this angry", he says and earns another hit.
He spits out some blood and stares at the blond. "Did I make myself clear?", Steve asks and Rumlow nods quickly. Steve lets go off him and he scurries back into the ballroom. "Are you alright?", Steve asks, turning to Bucky. "Yeah. But I have a very bad taste in my mouth. Let's get something to drink", the brunet answers and takes Steve's hand. "Sure... What'd he do?", Steve asks as they leave the room. "He gave me a very weird kiss", Bucky says and shudders.