Numb

Chapter 29
•••
•••
•••
A few hours later the Barnes' family minus Alexander sits in the living room, talking. "I'm...kinda tired", Bucky says after a while and smiles slightly. "If you don't mind, I'd like to go to bed." "It's the middle of the day", Rebecca chuckles. "I know, I know. Just for an hour", James answers calmly. "Then go ahead, we won't stop you", Winifred says and looks at her son searchingly. "Thanks", the prince mumbles and leaves the room, calling Steve on his way upstairs. "Stevie, I'm home", he says right away.

"That's great, Buck. How are you feeling?", Steve answers excitedly. "Tired, relieved... Happy, I guess", the brunet answers and shrugs even though Steve can't see it. "I can't wait to see you again, I'm so bored", Lehigh's prince grins and stretches out across his bed. "At least we can talk", Bucky chuckles and leans against the soundproof doors to open one. The heavy door creaks open slowly and the brunet scurries inside, walking towards his room. "Yeah, but I wanna kiss you", Steve answers.

"Oh baby, that's sweet of you. But I look like a tired mess right now, so I'm glad you can't see and draw me", Bucky says and enters his bedroom silently. Steve sits up, when James mentions his nickname and shifts slightly, trying to get into a different position. "I bet you don't look as bad as you make it sound", the blond smiles and looks at his desk and the drawings of Bucky that are scattered upon it. "You're unbelievable", Bucky chuckles as he walks onto the small balcony, getting some fresh air.

"Shut up", Steve laughs. They talk for a while and joke around. "Stevie, I gotta get some sleep now... Or I'll doze off right on the spot", Bucky mumbles and holds back a yawn. Steve chuckles and stops sketching the scenery he was working on. "Sleep tight, then. I don't want you to get sleep deprived", he says. "Talk to you tomorrow, sunshine", Bucky answers, hoping that his father's return won't interfere with calling Steve. "Until then, Buck", the blond says and they end the call.

Bucky lies down on his bed and falls asleep in a matter of seconds. "Bucky, wake up", Rebecca says loudly and sits down next to her sleeping brother. The prince grumbles and looks up at her. "What do you want?", he asks and sighs. "I want you to come downstairs. We want to watch a movie together", Rebecca answers and nudges his arm gently. "Mom and I aren't home for a good while tomorrow, so we gotta do it today", she adds. "Hm, okay", Bucky says and sits up.

A few minutes later they sit on the couch together. "You really don't want to come to the musical with us?", Winifred asks and looks at her son questioningly. "No, I'd rather stay here. I've been out enough for a while", James answers and grins. "Good point", Rebecca chuckles and hugs her brother lazily. "But if Dad annoys you or yells at you, defend yourself, okay?", she adds intently. "I'll distance myself, but I won't defend myself because that might not end well", Bucky answers.

"Fine", Rebecca sighs. They finish the movie and all go to bed. Bucky puts on Steve's shirt again and falls asleep feeling entirely content with the day he had, for the first time since he left Lehigh. The next morning he wakes up early due to a text he receives. "Steve, come on", he grumbles. The blond has been awake for an hour and is sitting in the art room, waiting for his boyfriend to open his message. He sent a picture of the drawing of Bucky playing piano as he just finished it.

The brunet opens the picture and grins. 'It looks like a real photo! What the hell, Steve' he texts back and sits up. Bucky goes to take a shower and puts on a soft hoodie and jeans afterwards. 'I tried my best' Steve replied and lies on the couch watching a youtube video, when Bucky reads it. 'Your best is awesome' the brunet types and smiles slightly, looking at the drawing again. Steve blushes proudly, when he receives the answer and heads to his room.

Bucky walks to the dining room and sits down next to his sister. "Good morning", he smiles and leans back in his chair. "You seem happy", Rebecca grins and hands him the coffee pot. "Thanks, and I am", James answers and fills his mug with coffee. "You know that he's coming home in an hour, right?", the princess asks. "Yes, but I'm not really bothered. Look", Bucky says and slides his phone over to her so she can see the picture Steve sent.