Confessions

Chapter 32
•••
•••
•••
James sees Steve walking towards him and instinctively turns to run, or at least hurry out of the hall. Steve catches Bucky's sleeve just in time and turns him around. "Why are you avoiding me?", the blond asks, hurt shimmering through his voice. Bucky stares at him, his eyes watering immediately. He can't answer. "Why didn't you call?", Steve asks silently. "I couldn't", the brunet mumbles. He knows that his father is close and his breath hitches slightly in fear.

"Oh, Buck... Please, please don't cry", Steve whispers helplessly. James looks at him, emotions running wild. "It hurts", he murmurs and his voice is shaking audibly. Rebecca sees them from across the room and instinctively searches the room for her father, spotting him close to the couple. "Oh no", she breathes and starts to make her way through the crowd. Steve takes Bucky's hands in his and pulls him close before the brunet can react.

They share their first kiss in weeks and break it slowly, after what feels like hours.
James leans into the kiss, seeking shelter from the horrors that the last weeks contained. He feels safe again for a moment. A moment gone too soon. Steve feels the lines of Bucky's metal hand under the fabric of his glove, welcoming the strangely familiar feeling washing over him. Both princes close their eyes, trying to forget what happened and where they are, until they part.

Bucky feels everyone staring at them, but one stare feels like fire on his back. Alexander glares at his son, fury in his eyes. "What have you done", Bucky murmurs, upset. "Buck, it's okay", Steve whispers, attempting to lay a hand on Bucky's back. "Nothing is okay, Steven", he answers through gritted teeth, turns around and runs out of the ballroom. He sprints up the stairs, faster than he ever did before, and finds himself in the corner of the library that is furthest away from it's entrance, just a minute later.

Rebecca reached her father while the princes kissed and glares at him in anger. "Rebecca, dear. What is it?", the king asks, trying to play the situation down, eventhough he's raging inside. "You are disgusting", Hydra's princess hisses and her mother reaches them, laying a hand on her shoulder. "I am not the repulsive one in our family", Alexander answers silently and has both women glaring at him now. "Why can't you just accept him as he is?", Rebecca thunders.

"You were never proud of him. You can't bring yourself to it, I should've figured that out years ago. Now, don't you even dare look into his direction, Alexander, and don't lay a finger on Steve or you can find yourself a new wife", Winifred says, her voice calm and collected, eventhough she couldn't be angrier. Hydra's king looks at the women in utter surprise of their reactions. "I-", he starts, but gets cut off. By Steve.

"You have done enough damage", Lehigh's prince says, tone filled with hatred. Alexander attempts to take a step towards Steve, hands balled to fists. Winifred holds him back, staring at him with an obvious threat in her eyes. "Go find him", she says, directed at Steve and Rebecca. The prince offers his hand and Rebecca takes it before they run off to find Bucky. "Thank you", they say at the same time and look at eachother confusedly.

"Thanks for getting Bucky out of hiding. I couldn't convince him to get in contact with you in any way", the princess says explanatory, as they stop in the entrance hall. "Thanks for standing up for us. I couldn't think straight back there", Steve says and gives her a broken smile. "I noticed. I'll go to the library, can you check his room?", Rebecca answers and the blonde nods. They part up and start searching for Bucky.

Steve searches through Bucky's room and stops, when he sees a half-open drawer at his desk. He walks closer and opens it entirely. The damaged remains of Bucky's phone lie on top of some notebooks, small post-it strips stuck within them. Steve carefully takes the first notebook out of the drawer and opens it on the page were the red strap is placed. A print out of a picture of Bucky and him is hidden on the page and a little smile sneaks on Steve's face.