26

Kate's Pov 

I was sitting at the kitchen table waiting on a phone call from Kolby and Jason to see if we can get Brantley out of jail today. I hope we can because Brantley has been in jail for a whole day now. I looked down at my cup of hot tea with a lemon drop in it. I wish none of this happened at all. In some funny way I was happy to have both of my parents back together in my life, but not like this. Mom has been on the phone most of the day talking to divorce lawyers. If it ain't one thing it's two or three around here. 

I looked into the living room and saw Rocky and Isaac watching TV. Last night when we all went to bed I made them sleep with me in the bedroom I'm sleeping in. They saw way to much in there little lifetime, that most men and women don't never need to see. I looked over at my clock on the wall and saw it was already noon. Poor Kolby and Jason have been down at the police sation for the past 3 hours now. I hope everything is going okay. 

"Okay, I got myself a divorce lawyer that is good." Mom said to me has she walked into the kitchen. I looked up at her. 

"That's good mom." I said to her. 

"Should have done this years ago. I don't know what I was even thinking." Mom said to me. I smiled at her. I was about to say something when Mona walked into the house. 

"What in the hell happened?" She asked me. I looked up at her. 

"Take a seat and we will tell you." I said to her. She sat down. 

"Mom this is Mona Carter. She is dating Brantley's younger brother Kolby. Mona this is my mom Deb Hall." I said to them. 

"Nice to meet you ma'am." Mona said to my mom. 

"You too hon." Mom said to her. 

"Okay. Now what in the hell is going on. I got this text from Kolby saying that have to go and save Brantley. Carter and Kolby are playing a game or something?" Mona asked me. 

"Brantley beat the shit out of my father. He needed it a few years back, but after Brantley kicked him out he went to the police and had him arrested." I told her. 

"No." Mona said to me. 

"Yep. You want some hot tea." I asked her. 

"Sure." Mona said to me. I was about to get up when my mom got up. 

"I'll get it dear. I need some too. You got any whiskey." Mom asked me. 

"Above the stove." I told her. 

"Deb put a shot in my tea too. Please." Mona asked my mom. 

"You got it dear." My mom said to Mona. Mona looked over at me and smiled. 

"She's seems nice to me." Mona said to me. 

"Mom is nice. It's my father who is a jack ass." I said to my best friend. 

"Katie." Mona said to me. 

"What? It's the truth. Right mom." I asked her. 

"Honey, your father is not a jack ass. He's a son of a bitch who needs to go out into the ocean that and have a family of killer sharks eat him and spit him out and then let the fish eat on his cold, old, ugly skin. God I hate him so much! Kate, does Brantley have a gun." Mom asked me. 

"Yes he does, but we are not going to kill Charlie. Okay." I said to my mother. 

"Might as well kill us both. What kind of a mother leaves her 15 year old daughter like the way I left you. Might as well just killed myself when I had the drug problem." Mom said to me. I got up and walked over to her.