1.

Calabasas, California
August
Two weeks later

"I went through everything so Nia wouldn't have to

"I went through everything so Nia wouldn't have to. She is really untouchable." — Naomi Cartier

The sun was shining brightly, peeking through Nia's large pink drapes. Nia is buried in such a profound sleep. One of her legs is from underneath the covers, her head is in between her large pillows and she's snoring.

Sir Chase quietly opens her door, peeking inside to see if she's awake while Saint Zeke is waiting behind him. When Sir Chase noticed that Nia is still in a deep sleep, he motions for Saint Zeke to quietly follow.

They're walking on their tip toes because their school shoes will make noise against Nia's light hardwood floors. Bending down at the edge of Nia's bed, Sir Chase whispers to Saint Zeke to go on the other side.

"When I say go, tickle her feet." Sir Chase gave out instructions.

Like a soldier, Saint Zeke nodded his head and did what he was told. Sir Chase waited a few minutes before giving out the command. "Go."

They both began to tickle her feet causing her to stir in her sleep. Nia groaned in annoyance, kicking at the both of them. "Oh my God! Y'all are annoying, get out!" She yells.

Sir Chase's raspy and rugged laugh was a contrast of Saint Zeke's light giggles. "You such a brat." Sir Chase shakes his head. "Ma said get up. You gotta take us to school, doofus."

"Kiss my ass, Shit Chase." Nia mumbles, pulling the cover over her head.

Sir Chase puts his hands into his pockets, unfazed by her tone. "I'm telling Mama you cussed me out."

Nia removes the cover, and glares at him. "Snitch."

Sir Chase smacks his lips. "Get up fo I tell Mama."

"Get out of my room!" Nia yells.

"Fine." Sir Chase shrugs, putting his arms around Saint Zeke. "Let's go Saint."

"You said this was gonna be fun." Saint Zeke glares up at Sir Chase as they exit Nia's room. "She mad at us."

"So." Sir Chase shrugs again.

Nia rolls her eyes as they close her door. She sits up, sighs softly and pulls the cover off of her body. Sir Chase will snitch and she didn't need Naomi hollering at 7 in the morning.

I'm too young for this.

She walks to her bathroom, yawning in the process. Today was her first day as a junior in high school. She always liked school up until this point.

Now she was just ready to get these two years over with. Looking in the mirror, she removes her bonnet and begins to do her daily hygiene upkeep.