5.

Excuse any mistakes. The Persad's ^

"Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them."

James Baldwin

Los Angeles, California
8:32 p.m.

Slipping on a pair of USC shorts, Roman heads down the stairs to go eat dinner. He's fresh out of football practice and they are preparing for the first game which is next week.

A few scouts will be in attendance to watch him, and he's slightly nervous. It's just his junior season, but he's one of the best players in the nation.

The pressure could be overwhelming sometimes.

He passes by Khalil's room, who is laying across the bed while looking up at the ceiling. 6lack's PRBLMS is lowly playing through his speakers.

Roman knocks on the door which causes Khalil to look towards him. "You went to the gym today?"

Khalil shakes his head. "Them niggas suck."

Roman chuckles. "You ain't hungry?"

He sits up, and puts his feet in his slide-ins. "You kno' I'm hungry." Khalil pushes Roman out of the way and walks in front of him.

The two of them walk down the stairs, smelling the food that their mom was preparing. It smells spicy which means it may be Gumbo.

She is placing the food on the table, and Roman confirms his suspicion. It is Gumbo and he rubs his stomach in anticipation.

Roman Sr. appears from the kitchen, his long hair towering down his back. "How was practice?" He immediately asks Jr.

"It was cool." Roman Jr. shrugs, taking a seat at the family table.

"Need a big game in front of those scouts." Roman Sr. insists.

Roman Jr. just nods his head, not really wanting to think about it. Scarlett looks between the two. "Just play your game. No pressure." She smiles at her son and sends a brief glare in Roman Sr's direction.

"Ma, can I play at Venice Beach instead of at the gym?" Khalil asks.

Scarlett shakes her head no with no hesitation. "No."

Khalil kisses his teeth. "Why not?"

"It's dangerous, that's why." Scarlett says, taking her seat while keeping her eyes on her youngest son.

"Papa Khari played there all the time. Plus, that's how you become a legend."

"Daddy playing park basketball is exactly why I won't let you play there. It's the reason why he didn't allow me or your Uncle play." Scarlett responds.

They began to fix their plates, and Roman immediately says grace before eating. "So what that mean?"

"His name carries a lot of weight." Scarlett explains. "You can risk your entire career. There are spiteful people in this world. Someone gets mad about you beating them and God forbid, hurt you.. I'll lose it."