14.

Excuse them mistakes, chile.  Look at Naomi in this mm. Jesus.

LA
Sunday night

"It's no use of talking unless people understand what you say."

Zora Neale Hurston

Nia was afforded the opportunity of not having to go to Chicago. She's staying with Mara to make sure that Mara isn't freaking out over the current situation. Mara may just be stressed and her period may come sooner rather than later.

Nia also plans to go over Amir's house to check on how things are going. But, at the current moment, she's with Shiloh.

He called to ask if they could meet up at a park nearby and she agreed. However, he's freaking her out because he hasn't said a word since they arrived.

She looks at him as he stares ahead with a distant look on his face. Nia decides to speak up because the silence is killing her.

"Shiloh?" She calls.

"Yea?" He answers, but doesn't look her way.

   "What's wrong? You're quiet and let's be honest, you're a guy with a lot to say."

Shiloh sighs, and shrugs. "I'm just tired, I guess."

    Nia tilts her head slightly, turning to the side so she can get a better view of him. The two were seated on a wooden bench, enough distance between them to make them comfortable.

"Tired from what?" She asks.

    Shiloh lifts his head up and turns it to finally look at Nia. He searches her eyes for something, but Nia is unsure what. Somehow, he gets lost in them and it soothes him momentarily.

"Life." He finally responds. Nia isn't quite ready for that answer, and she continues to look at him so he could expound on it. "My mom and sister, and me, can be killed at any time."

      "What—don't say that." Nia sits up slightly.

Shiloh shrugs his shoulders lightly and licks his lips. "It's the truth love."

     "Shiloh, talk to me."

He shakes his head and looks back ahead. "You're too pure to talk to. I hate to be the one who taints you."

    "Protecting me is not going to free you of whatever you're holding on to in your heart. The purpose of relationships and relationship building is trust. Do you trust me?" She looks at him.

"I do." He replies without hesitation.

     "Well, talk to me. Sure, I may not be able to relate. I'm sorry that I can't, but I can empathize. I can put myself in your shoes and feel whatever it is you're feeling just so that you don't have to feel it alone."

Shiloh doesn't say anything and Nia assumes that he's thinking about what she has said. She allows him to weigh his options, and sits quietly.