25.

Excuse any mistakes.

Seattle, WA
Saturday

"There is always something to do. There are hungry people to feed, naked people to clothe, sick people to comfort and make well. And while I don't expect you to save the world I do think it's not asking too much for you to love those with whom you sleep, share the happiness of those whom you call friend, engage those among you who are visionary and remove from your life those who offer you depression, despair and disrespect."

Nikki Giovanni

Zeke pulls into Remy's driveway, and shuts off the engine. Naomi grabs her purse, adjusting her leather jacket and immediately getting out of the truck. Zeke and Naomi were at odds over how Zeke handled the situation with Amir.

Naomi felt silly for being mad at him, simply because he was protecting his sister. Any sane relative would have probably done the same.

However, despite Amir's actions, that was still her brother.

As she rung the doorbell, Zeke appears behind her and sighs heavily. "It's been a month, Naomi."

"And you still haven't told me why you have a gun." She glares at him.

Zeke shrugs. "For protection."

"Well, I don't want the kids to be able to get their hands on it."

Zeke looks at her. "They haven't in all this time. Look, I got it. Don't worry about it."

Before Naomi could reply, the door opens and Remy appears on the other side of the threshold. Her arm is in a sling with her other arm holding a bowl of popcorn.

Naomi sighs in relief, and immediately pulls Remy into a loving hug. "Can you just work from a desk already?"

Remy laughs a little, hugging her best friend back. She was shot in a takedown the week before, in the arm and chest.

"I'm okay." She tells her. Zeke steps in and closes the door behind him. Remy looks at him and smiles. "Hey bro." She says as she pulls away from Naomi.

"Hey Remy." Zeke greets her with a hug also.

Keegan walks down the foyer with their daughter in his arms. "Is that Auntie Mimi & Uncle Z?"

Marìa wiggles out of his arms to run to them. "Hey my baby girl." Naomi gasps, scooping her up.

  Zeke watches as Naomi effortlessly talked to Marìa in Spanish. Keegan looks at him and shakes his head. "I think her and her mama be cursin' me out."

"I know for a fact they do." Zeke laughs.

"I'm so glad y'all made it because I made some bomb ass authentic tacos." Remy stuffs her mouth with popcorn and leads them to the kitchen.

"Madre, can I have juice tonight?" María asks.

"Hmm," Remy hums, a signal that she's thinking. "I guess so."

Keegan stops Remy from trying to do too much and points towards the dining area. "Go sit down woman. You don't need to be doing all of this."