16.2

Excuse any mistakes. Mariyah in the mm.

LA
Next morning

"You've got to learn to leave the table when love's no longer being served."

Nina Simone

Naomi is awake at 7am with her eyes wide open. The sun is peeking through the oversized windows that's dressed with champagne colored drapes. She can hear Zeke's light snores as his breathing is slightly tickling the back of her neck.

Restless.

Something Naomi has been dealing with for years now. She rarely gets any sleep these days and if she does, she has to force herself to do so.

This was different, however. Something was bothering her, although, she couldn't put her finger on it. Deep down inside, she felt like something wasn't right.

Zeke sighs in his sleep, moving slightly while pulling Naomi closer to him. When his movements stopped, Naomi figures that he's gone back to sleep.

"What's wrong?" His deep, sleepy voice voice rumbles causing her to shutter.

"How'd you know I was awake?" Naomi asks softly.

"I've been sleeping with you for years now, angel." Zeke says. "You don't sleep much."

Naomi sighs. "I'm just thinking."

"When are you not thinking?" Zeke laughs slightly. "You've got to turn that brain of yours off one of these days."

She turns to face him, running her finger along his face. "Easier said than done."

"Messiah, again?"

Naomi nods her head. "I was the same way when Amir went to prison. Wanting him to come home alive, in one piece." She stops and shrugs her shoulder. "It's nerve wrecking. It's amazing how I'm not over it yet I expect for Amir to somehow deal with it."

"Amir got bigger issues." Zeke rubs the sleep out of his eye. "No offense or anything."

"No." She shakes her head. "You're right. Strangely, I worry about him, too."

Zeke sits up on his elbow. "Amir and Messiah are grown men. They've made decisions, or lack thereof, that they have to deal with. Worrying about them changes nothing, sweetheart. I love you and I want you to rid yourself of those bricks that's weighing you down."

"I thought I did, Zeke. I rarely talk to Amir these days. I'm loving him from a distance."

"Then, what's the problem?"

"The problem is that I've never left him before even when he left me. Amir's psyche is not healthy." Naomi explains.

Zeke shakes his head. "How many times have you begged him to get some help? You can only do so much."

Naomi opens her mouth to counter, but nothing comes out. She knows Zeke is right. If she wanted the help more than Amir did, it would never work.

She smiles a little, remembering telling Senaya the same thing. "What?" Zeke asks.

Naomi shakes her head. "'Nothing, you're right."

"So you gonna let it go?"

"Yes, babe. I'll let it go." Naomi says.

"Good." Zeke leans down to kiss her, but she immediately swerves him. "Well, damn."

"You know how I feel about morning breath. We go through this every morning, Zeke." Naomi rolls her eyes and pulls the cover back. She sits up and stretches her limbs.