13.

Excuse any mistakes.

Nia Cartier

Nia Cartier

Compton, LA

"All I'm trying to do is survive and make good out of the dirty, nasty, unbelievable lifestyle that they gave me."

Tupac Shakur

The bell to the corner store sounds as Shiloh, Baby Shaq and Nyah walk in. Shiloh is treating the kids to some candy, hoping they'll leave him alone afterwards.

He has been watching them all day, even took them to the park and let them run wild for the majority of the day. It's the weekend and most kids were in the house.

Shiloh remembers how he and Travis used to be outside playing until the sun went down. Times were changing and Shiloh felt like it was only going downhill.

"Truth, can I have a grape soda too?" Baby Shaq asks, looking up at Shiloh.

"Yea, but that's it. Get some candy or chips and let's go."

Shiloh is tired. He has been up all night and Nyah really didn't allow him to sleep in. "Ooo! Can I get a peach soda?!" Nyah asks, seeing Baby Shaq get a soda.

"Yea." Shiloh shrugs.

When Nyah gets to the sodas, she realizes that she doesn't want peach anymore. The variety of flavors threw her off guard and now she's thinking hard about which flavor she wants.

By this time, Baby Shaq is ready and goes up to the register. Nyah ends up selecting the peach soda anyway and skips to where Baby Shaq and Shiloh were.

The man behind the counter rings everything up and gives Shiloh the total. Shiloh hands him a twenty and grabs the items, handing them to Nyah and Baby Shaq.

He gently pushes the two out of the store, leaving before allowing the man to give him back his change.

"You didn't get your change, Truth." Baby Shaq announces while munching on his hot cheetos.

"I know, lil homie."

"Truth is rich." Nyah says in a duh tone. "He don't need no change."

Shiloh looks at her weirdly, wondering where she'd got that from. If he were rich, they wouldn't be living in Compton.

Baby Shaq smacks his lips, obviously not believing that statement. "How?"