16.3

Excuse any mistakes. Miyah in the mm.

Ayshah is pronounced EYE-SHA
Asheek is pronounced AA-SH-EEK

LA
Same afternoon

"You must be unintimidated by your own thoughts because if you write with someone looking over you shoulder, you'll never write."

Nikki Giovanni

Mara sighs in relief as her period finally comes on, although, it couldn't have come at a worst time. She's in the middle of rehearsing for the VMA awards. Nonetheless, she's happy that she's not pregnant.

Walking out of the stall, she goes to the sink to wash her hands and dries them off before walking out. Reaching into her pockets, she grabs her phone and sends a quick message to Nia to let her know.

"Red sweatpants." Mara hears Miyah call one of the boy back up dancers.

She rolls her eyes playfully and laughs at her cousin. "Miyah, leave these folks alone."

Miyah looks at her. "What's his name?" She whispers.

Mara looks at him briefly before looking back at Miyah. "Girl, I don't know. Don't care either."

"He's a cutie, though. You need to get his number."

"I'm good on boys." Mara announces, reaching beside Miyah to get her water bottle. She unscrews the top and quenches her thirst.

"Anyway." Miyah rolls her eyes. "It's on?" Mara smiles and nods her head. "Thank you, Jesus. I'm glad we didn't have to kill the poor thing."

"Miyah." Mara gasps.

"What?" Miyah shrugs. "Don't lie like you didn't think about it. I would have made sure you went through with it."

"Well, I'm just glad I don't have to make any decisions like that."

Miyah nods in agreement. "Have you talked to Adrian?"

Mara shakes her head no. "Why?"

Biting her bottom lip, Miyah shakes her head lightly. "Something's off with him. Aria's been weird too."

"You went over there?" Mara asks.

"Mhmm." Miyah hums. "Aria was helping me with some homework because she's obvious the math genius of this family. But, Adrian was just mute. We all know he isn't quiet."

"I don't know." Mara shrugs. "Maybe he's just upset that he's back on punishment."

"Nah, I feel it's deeper than that." Miyah looks at her. "But, we'll keep it on a lighter note. Your break is over."

"Alright, try not to harass anyone else. Okay?" Mara says.

"No promises." Miyah smirks.

Mara shakes her head and goes back to rehearsals. Someone gently grabs her arm causing her to look up.

Her look of confusion turns into a look of disgust. She quickly snatches away. "The hell are you doing here, Malachi?"

    Malachi rolls his eyes. "Save the dramatics, aight? I kno' this means it alot to you and I just came here to see you do ya thing."

"Well, you can leave." Mara starts to walk away, but he pulls her back.

    "Mara, just let me make it up. Can we talk? You been ignoring for me for weeks."