XVIII

Victoria paced up and down the room as the doctor checked over Alessandra. She couldn't bare to look at her little angel. Wringing her hands she had never felt this worried for her own children. She had been lucky with Johnathan but now it seemed the world was against her. The doctor nodded to Victoria and she stopped pacing for a moment to catch his eye.

"I do believe it is a fever. But we must keep a close eye on her if her fever does not break before noon tomorrow we could be in trouble. it is best not to worry or think of the worst. Ishe is the daughter of you and Francis she has a fighting spirit within her." The doctor states and Victoria looks from Miss Florence to Alessandra

"What do we do if her fever does not break before tomorrow?" Victoria asks carefully as she walks over to the cot placing her hand on the edge of it looking down at her.

"Let's not think about that just yet your majesty." The doctor states and gives her a reassuring smile as she places her hand on Alessandra's cheek and rubs it gently.

Her eyes well up slightly as she watches Alessandra's little eyes flutter open and close. Her arms and legs occasionally moving about. She touched Alessandra's little blonde curls at the back of her head. Closing her eyes at the feeling. A tear fell from her eye and she wiped it away quickly. The door of the nursery opening again. Victoria reluctantly removed her hand from her daughter's cheek and placed it on the edge of her cot. Looking towards the doctor who had brought in a few things to calm her fever. Shooing Victoria away from the cot she was banished to the rocking chair on the other side of the room.

All she could see was the doctor moving stuff around poking her , putting different things on her. She had no idea what he was doing. None at all. Every time she tried to go over to her he waved his hand and Miss Florence stopped her. She just needed to hold her baby girl in her arms and tell her she would be alright. Tell her that mummy loved her.

"Please I just want to hold her." Victoria cries to Miss Florence

"I know but the doctor knows what he is doing. He will make sure the fever passes." Miss Florence states and Victoria rubs her eyes running her fingers through her messy hair. Leaning back in the rocking chair to stare out the window at the stars in the sky.

Each one looking like little diamonds sparkling in the night. The trees swaying lightly in the night time breeze. She dreamt about the day Alessandra and Aurelia were born. The day she was blessed with not just one but two beautiful little girls. She thought about the feeling of pure joy that overwhelmed her and left her with the biggest smile on her face for days after they were born. The way she held both of them against their chest one by one every night rocking them to sleep. She thought about the first time Alessandra opened her eyes and it was then she knew her heart would be filled forever.

Suddenly the doctor moves away from the cot and called Victoria over. She practically jumped up and out of the rocking chair and over to Alessandra. Looking the doctor for an explanation and he nodded.

"I told you ma'am she is a fighter. The fever has broken." The doctor states and Victoria bursts into tears of happiness. The doctor leaves shortly after that to leave her with Alessandra.

Victoria gently picks Alessandra up out of the cot and holds her against her chest. Tears continuing to stream out of her eyes. Kissing her forehead over and over again. Holding her as close to her body as she possibly could. Fevers always meant bad news for the Demure household but now it seemed to be looking up for the family. Alessandra began to make little noises making Victoria smile brightly through the tears at the coos her daughter made at her.

" I love you so much. Mummy loves you so much. Don't you dare scare her like that again. I don't think I will be able to handle it." Victoria says and begins to rock her gently as she just watched her little face.

Reluctantly placing Alessandra back in the cot as Miss Florence told her it would be best if she slept for a while as big things were to come. The crown wars would be back around the corner before they knew it and then it would be the twins first birthday and Johnathan's third birthday within a blink of an eye. Touching the door handle of the nursery Victoria looked back at Alessandra in the cot and Miss Florence urged her out. Telling her everything would be fine and Victoria sighed heading out of the door. Standing outside of the nursery she knew she had to be strong for them and that meant continuing for them. her babies needed to knew what strength means in this game and how to access it at a young age especially if something bad would happen to her. God forbid.