XXIV

Victoria sat in front of the dressing table as the maids did her hair. She looked at them both and smiled sadly.

" Gulliver called the house ma'am. But you were out riding. He left some flowers." Miss William said as she brushed Victoria's hair and began to braid it which made Victoria's smile drop.

" Can I ask you something Miss William?" Victoria asked quietly

" Of course ma'am." Miss William nodded and Victoria hesitated.

This had been on her mind for a while but she had never said it to any one.

" Am I doing the right by the house?" Victoria asked and Miss William stood thinking for a while.

Victoria looked down at her lap. her hands red raw from scratching at her wrists again. The nightmares were awful last night and she had no sleep but after yesterday she was going to try to stay strong for the house. Warning everyone if news got out about what happened she would have them killed. Knowing her life hung in balance when Francis was murdered but she had the protection of him being the King so no one could come for her head. If it came out the young Queen was mad with grief over her daughter they would be straight for her head. But also she had to be strong for all the mothers and little children who looked up to her as the human Queen. The one who actually conversed with the people and for them they deserved to see the power she had against all the other strong married houses. Pulling at her dress sleeve to cover the marks as best she could no amount of anything could cover the puffy red face she had from crying. Staring at herself in the mirror all she could see was a broken heart but she need to see a ruler and a Queen if her family were to be safe. 

"I think you're very brave for defying the court once again. But I will say Ma'am when they catch wind of the lock down I feel we won't be safe for too long." Miss William answers and Victoria nods sadly knowing she was going to say something like that. 

"I know. I know." Victoria mutters her eyes clouding over as she looked back up at the mirror to gaze at Miss Williams. 

She herself was around the same age as Victoria which she rather liked. Having someone she could just talk to like a normal person that wasn't so focused on the fact she was Queen but as a young girl suffering heart break and being a single mother. 

"I do think all will be well though Ma'am. You are the strongest person I have ever met and I am glad to work for you." Miss Williams says trying to make Victoria feel better 

The doors to her dressing room slammed open with haste. Both Victoria and Miss Williams snapped their gaze to who was there. Victoria composed herself waiting for them to speak. As , they bowed to her. 

"I am rather sorry your majesty is this a bad time?" They questioned their coat clearly soaked in the rain coming over to the house.

"No no. It's fine." Victoria states holding her hand out for the letter. 

Taking it from him he headed out the door quicker than he came which seemed impossible but he did. A crack of thunder rippled through the sky as Victoria stared down at the small envelope in her hands. Looking back up to the mirror Miss Williams stood a little further back than she hand previously her hands behind her back waiting for Victoria's instruction. 

"Ma'am would you like some privacy. I can come back later if you wish." Miss Williams asks and Victoria shakes her head. 

"No no its fine. Stay." Victoria replies smiling at Miss Williams who still stood in the same place her hands behind her back giving Victoria a little nod to say she understood. 

Ripping open the letter she pulled out its contents skimming it over as quickly as possible. 

Your majesty ,

We have caught wind of your choice to lockdown House Demure and ask you to lift it. We advise you continue your search for a suitor whether you want to or not. You believe this is your game but it is not you are just a pawn in ours. So do as we say or god help what is to come to your house. 

The court. 

Scoffing Victoria rose from her chair the letter in hand throwing it on the fire instantly. Much to Miss Williams protests for her not to. 

"DOn't worry Miss Williams it's fine. Its just the court as I expected. Maybe threatening someone else they might have got me to fold. They want my crown come and get it. I will keep my free will and my rules. For the legacy of not just Francis but of Aurelia too." Victoria responds sitting back down on the chair urging Miss Williams to finish off her hair as she had to make sure her soldiers were prepared for an attack to happen at any moment from any where. 

She wasn't going to let the same mistake happen twice. They took her husband but now she was going to do it her way. Alone for her family. For her people. It was what she always should have done. An alliance sure is favourable in this game. But in a game of corruption and lies who can you trust but yourself when you have nearly lost everything. Victoria reminded herself she became Queen because she defied what was expected that day and therefore she will continue to battle against the court. 

Johnathan rushed over to her enveloping her legs in as best a squeeze he could muster up as Victoria bent down to the floor to be at his height. 

"Sorry Ma'am he was rather excited to see his mother." A young man whom Victoria had never met uttered from behind Johnathan. 

"And who might you be?" Victoria questioned as Johnathan took a seat in front of Victoria on the floor playing with her dress as he always had since he was a baby. 

"Warwick. Edward Warwick Ma'am. Johnathan's tutor." The man states and Victoria nods. 

"I do hope you are treating my boy well." Victoria mutters smiling at the man who was clearly nervous to be in front of the Queen. 

"I assure you  ma'am he Is in as capable hands as your own."Edward assures her which makes her smile. 

"I am glad to hear it." Victoria replies as Johnathan gets up from the floor heading round the room as he usually did.