XXXVIIII

Victoria walked down the long corridor glancing at the many portraits on the walls. Catching sight of one that was of her and Francis. Smiling at the pair of them knowing how smitten they were with each other when this was painted. The day of their engagement to be exact. What once was the happiest day of their lives before all of this. It is a shame they never got one done with Johnathan or the girls. She just out right refused to sit for another after Francis passed. No one would want a portrait of a disheveled Queen , preferring when she didn't have so much blood on her hands. Some would say she was now a proper Queen but to her it all haunts her dreams. Each of their faces scared into her brain for the rest of eternity. 

Upon hearing light giggles and scuttling further down the corridor Victoria thought to investigate. Stalking down as quietly as she could. Pushing the large dark wood door open a crack to get a glance into what was going on. A few of the servants including Miss Florence were busy scuttling round the room like little children giggling away to themselves. It was as if nothing bad had ever happened and they were trapped in some happy world. Maybe it was the children's doing they usual brought a calm air to the house she thought. Accidentally opening the door even more in her intrigue Miss Florence was the first to notice her presence and gasped. Helplessly trying to cover up whatever was on the table. 

"Your majesty !?!'" Miss Florence almost screamed her voice was so high pitch.Which put Alessandra's own cries to shame. 

Victoria nodded greeting everyone within the room as they collectively curtsied to her. In turn revealing what was on the table. A small cake decorated in fresh fruit from the garden. Victoria frowned looking to any of the servants for an explanation but none of them gave it to her. They just all giggled under their breathe looking at one and other. 

"What is this for?" Victoria questioned pointing towards the cake. The servants all glanced at it to as if they had never seen it sat on the table before. 

"You ... your majesty." One of the younger girls pipes up as another elbows her discreetly. It was clear they weren't meant to say anything just yet as whatever was happening wasn't ready. 

Miss Florence cleared her throat ready to fix the situation as Victoria's eyes started the cloud with tears. How sweet of them to make her a cake. 

"As a thank you ... for changing your mind. Of course we would respect any decision you make but to rule under you as Queen is something none of us will ever forget." Another one of the Youngers girls spits out before Miss Florence could speak which made Victoria giggle. They were like excitable children. But it was obvious that wasn't it. 

"It was actually his idea." Miss Florence states almost finishing what the others had started.

Victoria's heart stopped for a second as her blood ran cold. Turning her head slightly to the doorway she had just walked through moments ago. Her left hand covered her mouth in shock as a stray tear fell down her left cheek. Stood in front of her was a man in a mud covered white shirt , his boots and hair had seen better days as his hands gripped a bouquet of tulips , carnations and Pink roses. The bouquet covering his face as if he didn't want to be seen , like he was scared. Victoria subconsciously walked over to him placing a delicate hand on his as she pulled the flowers away from his face. His cheeks a light pink unknown whether it was due to him being out of breath running in from outside or if he was a little embarrassed.

"Hello." Victoria mumbles under her breathe as he just stared at her taking in her complexion as if it would be his last. Thinking she was about to send him away or have him killed for this but she wasn't. 

"Your majesty." He barely uttered as his eyes travelled to her lips subconsciously. Reprimanding himself in a way he thought was in his head but it wasn't. Making Victoria giggle lightly. He shouldn't be looking at a widowed Queen this way in front of her , let alone without her knowledge. 

"thank you it is rather thoughtful of you .. Are these for me?" Victoria questions nodding her head at the flowers in his hands that he had seemingly forgot he was holding gasping in shock. 

Glancing towards Miss Florence for reassurance as to whether he should say yes. In , his room he had practiced all night proudly saying yes these are for you your majesty. To be the strong and dominate man every one told him to be as a child but he couldn't. He crumbled in front of her. Nodding his head slowly waiting for her to order him to be gone but she didn't. Taking them from his hands he let out a breathe he hadn't known he was holding. 

"They are beautiful thank you. Miss Riley can you please put these in some water ?" Victoria asks nicely and the young girl nods taking them from her she gasps at what flowers were in them. Trying her best not to give away anything she was thinking. 

"I hope you didn't make too much of a mess in the grounds." Victoria remarked at him as he rubbed the back of his neck bashfully. Realising she was talking about the utter state he was in stood in front of her. 

To break the silence Victoria laughed shaking her head. He once again let out a breathe he had been holding in. Victoria made him feel like a small child being reprimanded by his parents. But he didn't care. 

"You're a strange one Mr Warwick." Victoria states giggling.