XXVI

Victoria sat in her office for the first time in a few weeks after Aurelia passed away. She just didn't want to do anything and that is what she allowed herself to do as she wanted to be in the right frame of mind to start building strategies to protect her family from the inevitable intrusion of the court or worse the other families as it wouldn't be long till the court told them about House Demure's situation. Leaning over past documents Francis had written tracing his handwriting lightly hoping not to smudge it or rip the paper since it was quite old now. Folding out a few more she sighed in frustration , is it possible for them to be protected forever without fear of an attack most likely not. 

The door to her office creaked open but Victoria did not raise her gaze. Knowing whoever it was would make themselves known to her shortly. 

"Victoria please." The person said and Victoria rolled her eyes. 

"I seem to remember it is your majesty." Victoria replies simply folding away a few documents in order to unravel some different ones on the table in front of her. 

"You are being irrational. Do you want to see the demise of not just your reign but your self or worse your children?" He asked and Victoria continued to ignore him. 

"I am doing it my way. Like you did to get what you want. The court can threaten all they like. Glad to see you are doing their dirty work for them again." Victoria states turning away from him opening one of the drawers behind her collecting a few books flipping through them for something she was looking for. 

"I am not here on behalf of the court. I am here to protect you and the children. What you are doing is not going down well. In protecting yourself you are making the house vulnerable." Gulliver counters but Victoria shakes her head. 

"I do believe I know what I am doing as Queen of not just this house but this country. You however are just a pawn in their game easily swayed by who takes your fancy that day. So goodbye Gulliver go tell the court like I know you will. I am staying under lock and that is final." Victoria states waving at him slamming the book shut placing it on the table in front of her. 

Gulliver stood still for a moment but Victoria did not continue to talk to him he wasn't worth her time. Especially since this was the first time he had visited in a while and it wasn't just to see her or the children. He hadn't even decided to visit when he heard of Aurelia's death he let her grieve in peace which was rather unusual this he was right there the whole time with Francis. So she knew his visit wasn't genuine she could feel it in her bones. Therefore , her guard much like the houses was staying up ready to fight till the death if needed. 

Suddenly he turned around and headed to the door leaving Victoria alone to her work once again. Slamming the next book on the desk she gripped the edges of the tables her knuckles turning white as she screamed out in frustration. Looking to the widow at the sky outside her jaw tensed wishing Francis was by her side through this. He made out she was always the leader but she just needed someone she could trust who wouldn't turn on her in a heartbeat to better themselves in this game. The door creaked open again as Victoria wiped her cheeks with a cloth she had lying by the desk just incase she got sad in the office she could clean herself up and put the mask back on. 

"Oh ma'am is this a bad time. I can tell Johnathan you are busy right now." He states his voice shaky as he lent half in the door half out to stop Johnathan from snaking his way in to the office like he had a few times before. 

"No ... no its fine. You can hand him over to me. How was he today?" Victoria asked ignoring the papers that lay on her desk as Johnathan bound through the door like a caged dog being let free for the first time straight over to his mother. 

"he was wonderful as usual. Miss Florence asked if Alessandra would be starting class soon. I thought I would ask you first." Mr Warwick answers and Victoria smiled. 

"She would love that Miss Rivers says she becomes ever so sad in the nursery alone. Having lessons with Johnathan may be what she needs." Victoria replies and Mr Warwick nods remembering to take note that the next class shall be with both children which scared him slightly but he wasn't going to tell Victoria that. 

"What are you working on?" Mr Warwick asks looking down at the carpet when he realised what he had just asked the Queen. 

"A way to protect this house. Now goodbye Mr Warwick thank you." Victoria says ignoring the fact he had asked a question much above his grade or need for him to know but the curiosity in him couldnt help but ask especially with all the papers and books strewn across her desk. 

Nodding he left Johnathan and Victoria alone. Closing the door Mr Warwick lent against it biting his lip his cheeks turning a light hue of pink. How stupid did he have to be to speak to the Queen like that he was here to teach her children and could easily be replaced. Trying his best to compose himself but Miss Florence noticed rolling her eyes at him. She checked down the corridor to check no other people were coming down.

"A piece of advice Mr Warwick. Don't let your emotions over take your job." Miss Florence whispers and he frowns in confusion. 

"I ... just asked her a question I shouldn't have." He whispers back to Miss Florence who smiled sadly at him. 

"Dear , you are lucky she isn't the type of Queen to have you banished from the house or worse killed for such a thing. I suggest you do not do it again if you want to keep your post. She is a mother on a war path and I would not want to stop her from doing that." Miss Florence says and Edward nods the two splitting off in different directions. 

Edward looked back at the office door one last time before heading too far away to see it. He had to remember he may be a lucky commoner to have been hired by House Demure but she wasn't a normal person. She was the reason this house was safe for now and he had to respect that higher archy even if he was in awe of her every time he saw her. Any male was to see a strong woman who not only ruled a house but ruled the country all while raising young children. It was admirable and he couldn't deny it. But he did have to do as Miss Florence said this was a game of pawns and he must stay in line for it all to work.