XXVIII

Victoria still held tightly onto Mr Warwick's hand not like he was complaining he felt safe in her company. Not just because she was the one wielding a weapon at this moment in time. She on the other hand felt odd the last man she had held hands with was Gulliver and oh how the tables had turned on that one. A painting came crashing to the ground startling both Mr Warwick and Victoria.  Thankfully it wasn't any of the portraits commissioned of her , Francis or the children then she would have been on a war path to find out why it fell on its own. 

Hearing talking coming from a room down the right hand corridor she dragged Mr Warwick with her knowing she would feel awful if she left him and he got hurt. Knowing he seemed like a pacifist in this game of war. Before everything with Francis happened she would have also called herself a pacifist but now if need be she would be a cold hard killer if it mean protecting her family and her crowns. 

" May I say ma'am for a woman you sure are fearless." Mr Warwick breaks the silence as she turns around to frown at him. 

Which reminded him saying such things was not the time. They were in the middle of an attack not afternoon tea where they discuss their lives in grave detail. This could be a life or death situation at the moment and she wasn't going to let him forget it. 

"Thank you Mr Warwick but now is not the time our lives and this house are in grave danger. We must stay alert." Victoria warned her voice hushed in case any one who had penetrated the main house could hear them. 

Mr Warwick silently moans at himself for being such an idiot for saying something like that in a time like this. He never had the best timings for things but he felt that Victoria deserved a compliment like that after everything she has done for not just helping the House rise through the ranks but also be the Queen of the country. If he could have he would have let the floor swallow him up whole to get away from her. Victoria's low bun slowly slipping out of its shape as she moved which was the least of her worries but caught Mr Warwick's attention. Watching as the brunette tendrils curled in each others like silk ribbon. He was in awe. 

"Pick up the pace." Victoria snapped harshly as Mr Warwick was brought back to reality nodding his head furiously muttering that it wouldn't happen again and she prayed it wouldn't. 

The two of them stood flush against the doorway as Victoria counted under her breathe down from five glancing at Mr Warwick to make sure the two of them were on the same page. He held his weapon like it was more likely to hurt him than any one else but at least he was trying. Opening the door Victoria's heart pounded but the adrenaline coursing through her veins was enough to out way any nerves or panic she had. 

"Show yourself!" Victoria demands her sword catching in the moonlight that penetrated through the large bay window. Scanning as best she could for any movement , a flitter of the curtain a creek of the floor board. As , Mr Warwick stood with his back to her just in case any one came from the hallway. 

"Victoria!" exclaimed Gulliver dropping a large pile of papers he had clearly taken from the cabinet in this room. Storming over to his shadowy figure her sword firmly in her hand as Gulliver backed himself into a corner of the small room. 

Mr Warwick glanced back to see what was going on his eyes bulging out of his head as he caught sight of Victoria cornering the figure in the room her sword firmly against his neck. Looking back out at the hallway to keep watch he tried to keep an ear out on the room in case she needed help. But he could tell this was an on going feud that Victoria clearly had under control. 

Victoria's sword wasn't harshly against his neck but it was enough to let him know she wasn't going to go easy on him. Especially due to his constant shifting between siding with her and not. It was as if the more powerful she got the further he distanced himself back to wanting to destroy her. He didn't want to see her succeed he wanted to give her a taste of it and show her no woman could really do what she was doing. If Victoria could see Gulliver's face right now he was terrified as he knew she could wield a sword with confidence. 

"What on earth are you doing here?" Victoria demands as Gulliver falters slightly his voice no existent. 

"Collecting papers ma'am. Nothing more. You do realise you have an attack on your hands far worse than me being here." Gulliver finds his voice as Victoria pushes the sword further into his neck threatening to pierce it slightly to end his talking abruptly. She didn't need to hear him lie to her face. 

"I do not believe you. Gulliver. It is rather suspicious you are here in this very room with my papers at the same time our home is being attacked. Warwick hold him and take him to the cell."  Victoria orders as Mr Warwick scurries over to the two of them holding him with the sword half heartedly against Gulliver's neck so he wouldn't go anywhere. 

"Victoria .. please." Gulliver begged as she took hold of a candle lighting it with the matches from a match box in the corridor. Turning her head she glared at him. 

"Do not utter my name. I am your Queen." Victoria snaps as even Warwick himself takes a deep breathe. 

Victoria led the way down the hallway to the cells since Mr Warwick had no need to be down there. All the way down her sword was ready in case any one tried to jump her but it seemed all the attack was still on the Demure house perimeter which she was rather thankful for. Her training of her soldiers seemed to be paying off greatly in this moment. Her brunette hair flowing  freely down her back the two men entranced with her even if one of them was in her bad books once again. 

"Ma'am your hair." Mr Warwick whispers to her as they throw Gulliver in the cell. The place he should have been when he tired to ruin her family the first time blaming the Valois family. 

Victoria touched it with her free hand gaping in shock that her hair had been down most of the time. Pulling the few pins that had some how stayed in it fixing it as best she could. As , Mr Warwick awkwardly looks everywhere but her his heart racing a million miles an hour but not for the same adrenaline rush as Victoria's. 

"I am so sorry Mr Warwick. You should not have seen that. I shall go and find Mr Dennon to stay on guard of Gulliver so you can go and get some rest. Thank you." Victoria mumbles touching his hand softly as a kind gesture walking down the corridor to go and find him while the rest of the house still stayed on guard but it seemed the soldiers had it under control. 

"No problem ma'am." Mr Warwick whispered to himself.