[ Chapter 21 ]

☆☆☆

☆☆☆

And thus, Eren was sent to the Survey Corps under supervision of Captain Levi. The Titan-Shifter was put in the Special Operation Squad and was headed towards the old HQ of the Scouts. You and the rest 104th Squad still hadn't graduated officially and hadn't chosen a military branch.

Sadly, news arrived that two experimental subject in custody of the Survey Corps had been killed of by someone. In order to find the culprit, they decided to check everyone's 3DMG which shouldn't have been used after fighting in Trost. The culprit was yet to be found.

●●●

It was graduation time. Many graduated trainees still weren't sure of their choice. You, together with a few others, already knew where you wanted to go. You were leaning against the wall as you listened to people around you talking. Connie, Jean, Sasha etc. were talking about joining the Scouts, the terrors of their last battle still visible on their faces. A soldier suddenly shouted at everyone. "Recruits, file in! Line up before the stage!" You followed the rest of the group.

It was dark, the flickering light of the fire burning caused an eerie vibe in the open space. Your eyes focused on a man standing on stage; Erwin Smith.

"I'm Erwin Smith, the commander of the Survey Corps" the tall blonde began. "Today, you'll decide where you'll enlist. And to be blunt, I'm here to recruit soldiers for the Survey Corps. I'm sure the latest Titan attack has made you fear the Titans and recognize the limits of your strength. However, though that battle, mankind has made unprecedented progress in its struggle. The key was Eren Jaeger. His willingness to risk his life for mankind signifies his unquestionable allegiance to us. Furthermore, not only did he allow us to stop the Titans, he also provided us a way to unveil the Titans' mystery!" Erwin continued. He meant business, you could see it in his eyes. Erwin was never the man to play around, from what you remember.

People gasped around you, including Armin and Mikasa, who were on the right side of you. You kept quiet. It felt.. almost wrong to listen to Erwin and his speech. What was so different about Eren? Sure his Titan-Shifting abilities, but to say that his willingness to risk his life was an important factor made your skin crawl. Many died before him in the Scouts and were willing to risk their lives, just as much as Eren.

"In the basement of his home in Shiganshina District lies the secret of the Titans, unknown even to him. If we can just reach that basement, we might find a clue that will aid us in overthrowing the Titans' century long rule!" The commander announced.

You heard people around you start to whisper. You scoffed, folding your arms over your chest, sending a glare to the one in command on the stage.

Erwin, however, caught that glare. His eyes widened from shock before he composed himself again. Now was not the time.

"We aim to reach that basement in Shinganshina District. But to that end, the recapture of Wall Maria is crucial. In other words, our goal hasn't changed. But now that Trost District's gate is unusable, we'll have to go around from Calanes District in the east. The military route we spent four years to prepare has been rendered useless. During those four years, we lost more than sixty percent of our men. Sixty percent in four years... It's an absurd figure. Those of you who join us will participate in an expedition a month from now in which the predicted mortality rate is thirty percent. Most of you will likely die in four years. However, if you manage to survive, you'll be an elite soldier who can overcome all odds. If you are willing to endanger your lives with us, remain here. Please ask yourselves. Are you capable of offering your lives for mankind?! That's all. Those of you who wish to enlist elsewhere may leave." The blonde ended his speech, leaving people gasping around you.