Chapter five

Chapter five

I wake with a fright. I look around my room and see no one there. Fuck, that was terrifying. Ever since that night I've had nightmares, waking me up most nights, they still terrify me but I can't tell anyone, I don't want to seem weak.

Only minutes later, Lauren walks in.

"It's time to get up, Michael. Katherine's coming to see you today."

"I didn't think she was coming till Thursday?" I reply. Clearing my throat.

"It's important." Shit. I think, I'm in trouble.

"Is this about me not coming home on time?" I ask, still a little unsure.

"I'm not sure, I don't think so, hurry up and get in the shower." She smiles, walking out. I do as I'm told and enter the bathroom, stripping off. Before I know it I'm climbing in to clean clothes, a dark brown t-shirt and beige chinos, slipping my feet in to a pair of black Doc Martens, I walk out of my room and through to the main office and see Ben, Lauren and Katherine all standing.

Katherine sees me and stops talking, she wanders over to me, smiling. Turning my most fake, sympathetic look and begin.

"Listen, Katherine. I'm really sorry for the other day. I know I should've come home. I'm sorry." She looks at me, falling for it.

"Michael, it's fine. Can we talk in the office?" What have I done now? For fuck sake. I make my way to the office and take a seat. I'm obviously about to get another lecture. Ben follows us in and takes a seat too. Katherine looks in her bag for something and pulls out a creased letter, she places it on the table and looks at me.

"Michael, there's really no easy way to say this, so I'm gonna just be blunt. We've managed to track down your father. He's written you a letter. Once you've read the letter, you can decide what happens next." I... I was not expecting that. At all.

"What? Where is he? Why has it taken so long?" I have so many questions. Katherine slides me the letter and I take it in my hands.

"Read it, Michael. Would you like some privacy?" I nod. As I do, Ben and Katherine both walk out of the room. I tear the letter open with my shaking hands. I unfold the life-changing paper and look at it.

Dear Michael,

When I was sixteen, I broke up with my girlfriend at the time, we never spoke again. A couple of weeks ago, I was told that a few months after the break up, she gave birth to a boy, my son, that boy was you. I understand you have a lot of questions and might like some answers.

I would like to get to know you and make up for the time I've missed. If that's what you would like too, the your social worker has my details. Take as much time as you would like, it's up to you.

Alexander Williams (Your Dad)

Fuck.