Chapter twelve

Chapter twelve

I sit around, playing games on my phone until there is a soft knock on the door.

"What?" I snap at the person behind it.

I check the time. 13:38. It's been two hours since I walked out of the medical room. I don't really want to speak to anyone. The door opens and my dad walks in.

"You okay?" It's weird. To hear my own father ask me that. I don't make eye contact.

"Fine. Why wouldn't I be?" I say with no emotion.

"Come to the office so we can have a chat." It was almost like he was suggesting rather than telling me. I realise there's no easy way out of this and we walk to the office together. I'm going to have to come clean about everything, the drugs, the not eating, I might even have to tell my dad about John, that's if they haven't already. My dad goes in to the office first and points towards a seat. Katherine, the doctor guy, Ben and my dad all look at me. Katherine, of course, speaks first.

"What's going on, Michael?"

"Nothing." I look at the floor.

They all look at me, obviously not buying it.

"You're not leaving this room until you tell one of us what's wrong." I don't answer and keep looking at the ground. I hear whispering and shuffling of foot steps, the door closes and I look up. It's only me and my dad. This is awkward. I have no idea what to say. He starts

"What's up? What's making you do all these things? Is it me?" He has a sad look on his face. I look at him briefly.

"No. It's not you. I don't really know why." I'm looking at the floor again.

"They want you to see someone, get therapy. And this isn't final, but if you wanted. You could come and live with

Me, and Amelia? It you wanted. I haven't asked Katherine yet. But if you think it might help, then I don't see why they won't let it happen." I look up. I can't believe what I'm hearing. Yes. I'd like to.

"Really? You want me to come and live with you?" I look at him in the eyes but look at the floor.

"Yes." He smiles, but it quickly fades. "There would be rules though, and you'd have to stick by them, or you'll be in trouble." I frown.

"Like what?" I knew there would be a catch.

"No drugs, no alcohol, no smoking, you'd have to be in by a certain time at night. And you'd have to go to school, I'm sure we could sort something out with Ben and Lauren, you could go to the school here. If you can stick by these for rules for two weeks, I'll do everything I can to speed up this process."

"I'll try." I say. A bit unsure about the school. How hard can it be?