Chapter eighteen

Chapter eighteen

The whole walk to Hayley's I was on high alert. We held hands and her friends walked beside her. In less that 10 minutes we had reached hers. Her friends went in and I wrapped her in my arms. I kissed her three times on the forehead and she did the same.

"I'm so sorry I wasn't there, i love you so much."

"Michael, I've told you many times already, this isn't your fault. I love you more." I could tell she was eager to get back to her friends.

"Call me if you need me." I say before turning away. I run home, I'm still drunk so, god knows what's gonna happen when I get home. I pass the gates and go to the entrance, the door opens immediately at I walk in. Ben tries to stop me.

"Where have you been this time?" I completely ignore him and go to my room. Throwing myself on my bed, I check my phone, 40 missed calls from my dad, 10 from Ben and 20 from Katherine. I ignore them and pass out, ready for what happens tomorrow.

When I wake up, i check my phone, it's 7:24. Far too early. I roll over to go back to sleep, and I am almost sleeping when the door swings open suddenly.

"Get up." It's my dad. I look up and open one eye. "Office. Now." He says as he walks away. I knew I'd have to deal with him at one point today, but not at half past fucking seven in the morning. I roll out of bed, spray some deodorant and put on some clean clothes. I stumble through to the office, still half asleep. I enter the office, giving my hair a ruffle. My dad, Katherine and Lauren are all sitting around a table and I take the empty seat, trying to avoid eye contact. It doesn't work. I catch my dad looking at me, he looks furious. I've never seen him like this. Shit. I've blown it. He doesn't want me living with him anymore. I kind of realise what I've done. I might have ruined my only chance at a decent future. I look at all of them. They all look disappointed. I realise I should have answered their calls.

"You've definitely got some explaining to do." I look at my dad. He's still really angry. I have no idea what to say. Kinda feels horrible to know I've disappointed him. I look at the ground, resting my head on my arm, which is balancing on the arm of the chair, and I'm slightly slouched. A minute passes.

"Don't you have anything to say at all?" Katherine asks. I throw her a scowl.

"Nothing that has to be said to you." I spit back.

"You better watch how you speak to her." My dad pipes up again. I look at him. "Are you actually that determined to throw your future away?" He asks, I shake my head. "Well that's the way your going, mate. I phoned you loads. So did Ben, and so did Katherine. What was so important that you couldn't answer?" I shrug. "Was it your girlfriend? Alcohol? Drugs? Come one, which one was it?" His voice is getting louder. I don't take my eyes off the floor.

"I just lost track of time." I stutter. It was a lie, I knew it was a lie, they knew it was a lie. My dad shakes his head.

Katherine opens her book.

"We're gonna leave you and your dad to speak, I think it would be a good time for him to learn how to deal with discipline. Then we'll decide whether you'll get to spend the weekend with your Dad, but I think you'll have to go away and put up a good case on why you should get to go." Lauren and Katherine leave. There's an awkward silence for a thirty seconds or so. Then he speaks.

"What did you take?"

"What? Nothing."

"I don't believe you. Did you drink?

"Yes. Only a little though." He sighs and looks at me. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to miss your calls, and I genuinely did lose track of time. I didn't do it on purpose."