Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

I scrape the last of what's on my plate and shove it in to my mouth. I help clear up and load up the dish washer. My dad is wiping the dining table and Amelia and I are over beside the dishwasher, when Amelia turns to me and let's out a sly smile.

"Have you ever see photographs of your Dad when he was a kid?" She says, loud enough for him to hear.

"No." My Dad cuts in, not taking his eyes off of the table he's still cleaning. "And he's not going to." Amelia and I laugh and she turns to me and winks.

"Hmm. I think he should." She laughs, walking out of the kitchen and pulling me with her. She takes me In to the modern living room and walks straight over to a cupboard, she bends down and takes out a thick, black, leather book, turning back to me she motions me to sit down on one of the sofas. I walk over and sit down, Amelia stands in front of me and places the book on my lap. She opens it to the first page and points out a small, happy child, around two or three years of age, with short dark hair, he looks just like I did at that age.

"That's him. Aged two." She says sitting down beside me. I smile, this is hilarious.

"This is hilarious." I laugh. Turning the page.

"I was adorable." My Dad replies, appearing at the door with a smile on his face.

"No, i don't think you were." I joke. Before I get the chance to laugh or say anymore, I soft cushion comes flying at my face. I grab it and throw it back in the direction it came in. The next page was the funniest. There was three kids this time, two boys and a girl, dressed in costumes. One of the boys was a cowboy, he looked slightly younger than the other boy, who was dressed as a vampire. The girl, looked younger than them both - she was dressed as a princess. Amelia puts her finger to the vampire.

"There he is again." She says, trying not to laugh. I, on the other hand, can't contain my laughter and it erupts through the room.

"I'm actually gonna watch what I say about this photo, I don't want you getting offended and sucking my blood while I sleep." I say, lifting the photo album up to my face just in time to block the second cushion being propelled at my face. Amelia picked it up and threw it back to my Dad, who caught it. The rest of the night flew by, it was spent speaking about my Dad and Amelia's past. She came from a happy, middle class family, and my Dad came from a similar background to her. My Dad, didn't really know what he wanted to do for a career either, until he got in to computers. We talked until around nine o'clock. Then the conversation turned to me. I tried to avoid all questions but it wasn't a successful attempt.

"Do you have any contact with any other family members on your Mums side?" My Dads asks. I shake my head.

"Nah, they stopped all contact after I was taken in to foster care, I don't know why." I lied. I knew exactly why they didn't speak to me.

"Their loss." Amelia pipes up. I look at her and she smiles, I smile too. Who knew adults were this friendly. We getting chatting about family and I find out that Amelia has a two sisters and my Dad has a Brother and a sister, the people who were in the costume photo. They're discussing what it's like to have siblings, when Amelia turns to me. "Do you have any brothers or sisters?" She asks nervously, I think she was unsure whether this would be a sensitive question or not.

"Not that I know of." I laugh.

"Would you like some?" My dad asks.

"Yes. I mean, a lot of the little kids at the home are cute and playful and stuff, but I guess it would be different if they lived with you in a family and that." I says, looking at the ground.

I look at the clock on the wall, it's 22:23. As if on cue, I yawn, I never really noticed the night go by, normally every day drags on. My dad stands up.

"It's getting late, Michael. I think you should be heading to bed." I turn to look at him and stand up too.

"Goodnight, Sweetheart." Amelia cuts in. I turn to her. "It's been really nice to have you here."

"Night." I say. "It's been great to be here, thank you." I walk out the room smiling and my Dad follows me. I walk up the stairs and straight in to my room. I walk straight in to the bathroom and do everything I need to do, I take off my t-shirt and avoid the mirror. I walk out in to my bedroom again, forgetting my Dad is standing at the door, shit. My arms... I think back to the time I was drunk and realise this isn't the first time he's seen them, I slip off my jeans, leaving me in nothing but a pair of baggy checked boxers. I climb in to the huge, comfy bed with blue bed covers, meanwhile my dad stares at me the whole time.

"Thanks for giving me a chance." He says to me with a serious face. "It's really nice to get to know you." I smile.

"Thanks for giving me a chance, I'm a real pain in the arse." I say, half joking.

"Meh. Not all the time. Goodnight." He says, starting to smirk.

"Night." I smile. He turns off the light and walks out, closing the door behind him.