Chapter 38

My eyes are met with the bright lights of the sun, streaming in through my window. I try to swing my legs round the side of my bed, ignoring the aching and pains, and try to stand up, but I am halted by an agonising pain running through my body, I heave my weight up, and walk to the bathroom, catching a glimpse of myself in the mirror, I recoil. My bruised and cut face is staring back at me, I imagine my twelve year old self, like the first time. I immediately go to my drawer, I fumble about inside and find a bag of soft, white powder that I managed to score off of Jacob a couple days earlier. I take a line of cocaine, enough to feel good and have no pain, but my parents probably won't notice. I climb back in to bed, Refusing to get up. About an hour later there is a soft knock on the door, and Amelia peaks her head in.

"Are you awake?" She whispers, meaning me. I ignore her, pretending to be asleep and she leaves again, falling for it. My phone starts to vibrate, it's Hayley. I ignore her too. I don't want to speak to anyone today. I lie wide awake, staring at the wall. The pain gets worse, all over my body - from my legs, to my back and to my head. I don't know how long I lie for, but eventually there is another knock. This time It's Amelia and my father.

"Michael?" My father says softly. I ignore him, but I hear footsteps walking around to the side I am facing. I can tell it's my new mother, Amelia. But I don't look at her, I keep staring. She is holding a glass of orange juice and a plate of what looks like toast. She places them on the bedside table and produces four pills. I don't know what they are.

"Michael?" She starts. "Do you want something for the pain?" I do not speak but I sit up and take the pills. All four of them and I swallow them with the juice. I don't touch the toast. The pain is excruciating and it takes everything inside of me to not shout in agony. I lie back down, not looking at them or saying a word. Amelia places the blanket over me and kisses me softly on the cheek. When she walks back to the door, I blink back a tear. "We love you." She whispers. I don't answer again. Hayley tries to ring me again a few times. Giving up eventually. I suppose it won't be long until she shows up. I pick up my phone, and text Jacob.

Come to mine, bring some junk, don't tell my dad.

The reply is almost instant.

Ok

I lie back on my bed and wait for his arrival.

*************************************

The doorbell echoes through the house, I don't need to answer it to know who's there. A large amount of mumbling follows, and I walk out and stand at the top of the stairs, careful not to be seen.

"Is he ok? He won't answer my texts." I hear Jacob lie.

"He won't speak to anyone, he won't get out of bed. I think he wants to rest, you can go up." My dad answers. I walk back to my room, careful to not make a noise, my aching arms close the door, just in time, as Jacob's feet sprint up stairs. He knocks on the door and then walks in, giving me a guilty, sympathetic look.

"I'm so sorry." He says, coming forward for I hug, I reciprocate and pat him on the back.

"It's not your fault." I find myself saying. "I'm ok, at least I'm not dead." Jacob dips his hands in to his pockets and brings out my gift. I hide it under my bed, until he is gone.

"What happened?" He asks cautiously.

"I was walking home, just after I'd gotten off the phone to you. Then his car pulled up and he got out. I hope they don't find him. I don't want there to be another court case." I reveal, keeping him up to date. We spend another ten or fifteen minutes talking, and then he gets up to leave.