Chapter 36

We're back in London, after two weeks in Greece. It was good, I didn't think about it once. But now we're back, it's the only thing on my mind. Hayley has been withdrawn, she's acting weird. I keep asking her if she's ok, and she says she is, but I don't believe her. Amelia re-scheduled her appointment, and she goes today. Hayley's still staying with me, I don't know when she'll be going home. We all sit down to breakfast, it's quiet, I think my parents are nervous about the ultrasound, it's only the twelve week one, it's becoming a lot more real that I'll have a brother or sister, they've started buying things and decorating. The atmosphere between me and Hayley is tense, I'm going to find out what's wrong. Once my parents have set off for their appointment, I'm cleaning up with Hayley.

"What's wrong?" I ask cautiously.

"Nothing." She says, dryly. She doesn't even look at me.

"You've been weird since we've gotten back." I say, trying not to sound mean.

"Sorry." Is all she says.

"There's no need to apologise, just tell me what's wrong." I reply, getting annoyed. She looks at me, angry.

"Nothing, drop it." She spits.

I leave her alone and take a shower, I'm clean but it doesn't do much for my mood. Climbing out, I put on clean jeans and a t-shirt, red and with long sleeves. Then, I put on old trainers, before taking myself back downstairs to see if Hayley is in a better mood. She's not, so I push for answers.

"Why are you doing this? Just tell me what's wrong!" I shout, hoping she'll finally tell me.

"Michael, there's nothing wrong with me!" She shouts back.

"I don't believe you!" I push. Before I get to say anymore, Hayley starts crying - a sight I hate. I walk over to her and tighten my arms around her. "Tell me." I insist once more. "Tell me what's wrong, I won't get angry or upset." I assure her. She sobs in to my chest, unable to speak for tears.

"I'm pregnant." She admits.

"What?" I say, shocked. Did I hear her correctly? "You're pregnant?" I ask.

"I took a test yesterday. I'm sorry." She stutters, still semi sobbing In to my chest. I continue holding her for ten minutes, while she stops crying completely. I make her a cup of tea so we can talk some more.

"How long have you been suspicious?" I ask.

"A couple of weeks, I put it to the back of my mind while we were away, so I didn't put any extra pressure on you." She says quietly.

"Do you want to go through with it?" I interrogate. She nods her head.

"I'm sorry, I don't think I could give it away, or get rid of it. I understand if you don't want to be a part of this." She explains. I stay quiet, still in shock. I have no idea what to do, but I have to tell my parents.

"I don't think I can." I say, honestly. "I'm sorry, I can't do this. I can't be a Father."

*************************************

I hear the front door slam, and then the voice of my parents. My eyes glance around my empty room, which is no longer accommodating Hayley's belongings. Following their voices, I end up in the kitchen, although, my father and Amelia are in a tight embrace, and don't notice my entrance. As they pull away from each other, I see that they have both been crying.

"How did the ultrasound go?" I ask, nervously.

"Do you want to see a photograph?" My father asks. I walk over and look at a small piece of black card, with a blur on it. Next to it, is two more, the exact same.