Chapter Fourty two

We are just friends
Not until I got my heart broken
That I realise he was more than just a friend.
             - Suzy James

On our way back to Abuja, As expected, Dad finally asked me why I was crying so loud the following day.

"Our Suzy is just so happy. Honey, she's overwhelmed with joy." Mom turned and smiled at me. As much as I wanted to disagree and tell Mom she was wrong, I was grateful she spoke up at the exact time and saved me from Dad. After crying and crying, my head was spinning, and I decided to shut my heavy eyes closed.

I felt someone tapped me continuously. I struggled to open my eyes which seemed a bit difficult. It was so heavy, and painful. Oh! I wish I was left alone. I wish my sleep was not disturbed. But no, the moment I was awake, everything came running back. The image of Victor staring at me appeared again.

Pain

Pain

Broken

Broken.

That was what I could feel just thinking about him. I hate him.

He was nothing but a coward.

Why did he not want to see me?

Why did he not come down from the car?

Arrogant!

God! I hate him for making me feel so weak.

"Suzy get up!" I heard my sister's voice so loud that I jumped up immediately. I felt the cold breeze of my humble home hit me and I was happy to be back home again.

"Sister Blessing you scared me," I said, getting out of the car. I knew Dad didn't believe what Mom said. He just decided to keep quiet and watch as usual. I quickly made my way inside so Dad won't throw me more questions about the cry.

"Suzy who will pack your things in?" I heard my sister's voice as I walked towards my room. I entered my room and flicked the light on. To my surprise, everywhere was neat and arranged. My bedsheet had been changed and I knew Mom was behind it all. I flung myself on my bed. I just wanted to sleep and forget about everything. Forget about him. And forget about us.

A tear slipped at the corner of my eye. I didn't know why? But it was clear you can't hate when you still can't let go. You can't say good bye when you still want them around. You can't give up on them when you still want them to try. Those memories would do a good job tormenting and make you wish things were just like how they used to be.

The tears

I couldn't hold back.

"Suzy darling," I heard my Mom's voice approaching my room. "Suzy put something in your stomach before sleeping." Her voice was near. I did the next thing everyone would do if pretending to sleep. I turned around, sleeping on my chest and quickly shut my eyes closed.