Chapter Fourty six

Ten year later

"Big aunty, big aunty!" I felt that small hand that enjoyed wrapping around me tapped me continuously. I turned to the other side of the bed instead. I was so tired and really wish I was not disturbed.

"Aunty Suzy are we not going again?" She tapped me, refused to stop. This time, she hit me harder. I had no choice but to get up cause that little hand was hitting me so hard. I forced myself up and checked the time. I wasn't surprise because she was always like that. "Love, it's early. This is just 6:30am," I told her hoping she would go back to bed.

"But Aunty Suzy, before we get ready, before we eat, and dress, and-"

"It's okay. Don't worry," I cut her off. "We will be on time okay. Come to bed and join me." I picked her from the ground beside me and silently prayed she falls asleep. But no, my niece eye balls were wide awake waiting for her big Aunty to get up and get ready for the party.

The day I announced I was going to party, Love squealed happily and quickly told me she was going to follow me as always. Since that day, she never forgot to mention how everything was going to me.

"Aunty Suzy, Mom have bought me a new dress."

"See my new hair bow."

"But help me tell Mom I need new shoes too."

All I could do was laugh and promise her that her Mom would get it for her. Training a child is not an easy task at all. Even though I was not her Mom, when she begins to complain and disturb, I would become so tired with no choice but to call on her mom for rescue.

Being a doctor was hectic and stressful. I came late last night and all I could do was unhook my bra and found my way to the bed. I finished from McGill university which is one of the top universities in Canada. I came back to Nigeria because Mom and Dad wanted me to. I really do not know why, but they insisted I come back to Nigeria to settle down. Telling me they want me to have my own family and start raising my own kids. 

When I came back, my Papa James was not getting any younger, but old. Just this year, Sister Blessing and I planned his 60th birthday. And as we were planning Dad's own, Mom and I, including sister Blessing's husband also planned sister Blessing's 30th birthday. I couldn't believe it, everyone was growing. I could see the joy of a mother through mom's tears the day both Dad and sister Blessing celebrated their birthday. Of course, everyone who saw me called me by my profession.

The Doctor!

Doctor Suzy you're back

We thought you're not coming back again

Doctor the Doctor.

While some teased me, others prayed for me and would ask me what drugs they can use for their ailments. As if that was not enough, Dad was no longer calling me by my name. He was now calling me... My Doctor.

Whenever he called me that, I always found myself smiling. The name was sweet to hearing and I would smile seeing him smile also. I would be sincere with anyone who would love to know about my papa. He was really strict, but he remained the best. I loved Papa James so much. Each year in school till I finished from McGills, I emerged as the best student. Whenever I shared it with Dad, he would be thrilled, unable to hide his joy and would pray for me till forever on phone or whenever we had a chat. He would say, this time, I couldn't hire you lesson teachers, yet you made me proud. I laughed at that statement because truly, if Dad could hire more lesson teachers for me while in university, he would.