30• How Could I

• 9:48 p.m •

We made it to the party and it was deep. In the car Bryson said that he won't be by my side the whole time but will check for me occasionally. Which is strange on his part.
   Never have I ever been around this many fine ass dudes. Once I stepped in this guy started talking to me. He doesn't seem crazy, eager to marry me, have kids and kidnap me. Perfect!

"I'm not really a drinker. I'm just here because a friend dragged me here." He said.

"Me neither. My friend dragged me here too." I lied.

"My names Xavier. You?" He held his hand out for me to shake.

"Taylor." I shook his hand.

"Awesome name. It's crowded as fuck in here and the party just started. You tryna go outside on the yard?"

I nodded my head. He grabbed my hand and led me outside. He stood right under a streetlight and my heart skipped a beat. This man is beautiful. Dark skinned, built, tall, beautiful white smile, coily high top fade and soft dark brown eyes.

"Damn!" He said once I made it to the light with him.

"What?" I looked around confused.

"Forgive me, I don't mean to be disrespectful, especially if you got a Nigga but you are god damn beautiful."

I smiled and looked down. "Thank you. I don't have a man." Another lie. If Bryson knew what was coming out my mouth and going on, he'd kill me. No doubt.

"You good ma? We've only been talking for literally a minute but you seem distracted."

"Compliments just throw me off a little." I chuckled.

"Ah. You better get used to it tonight."

"Alright Xavier."

"Alright Taylor." He mocked.

He pulled his phone out. "It's my bro. Excuse me."

"No problem."

I stared at his phone and wish I had one.

"Nah bro...I'm outside. If you step out and see a pretty curly head dark skinned girl under a street light, you'll see me...aite man."

I blushed as he shoved his phone back in his pocket.

"Now where were we?"

"Anywhere you wanna be." I replied.

He smirked. "Speaking of my phone. You tryna give me your number?"

"I don't have a phone." I said.

He sucked his teeth and looked me in the eyes. "Girl quit playin'. Everybody has a phone."

I shook my head. "Not me. I don't have a phone, a number, none of that. I don't remember the last time I had a phone."

"Look if you wanna be stush and stuck up, I can go back inside. You wasting both of our time."

"I'm telling the truth! I can't explain it to you. I don't want him to know you know."

"What? What kinda weird shit you on? Help me understand."

"Promise not to say anything."

"Promise boo."

"So I don't know if you've seen the guy with the cap and leather jacket-"

"The one that owns that nice ass Audi?"

"Yes! Yes him! He kidnapped me a long time ago. I can't remember when, he's drugged me and beat me so many times, it takes a while for these things to come. He's forcing me to do all these things for him, I've never seen him before in my life and I need your help. I'm trusting you Xavier. Please, please, please. Please help me."

He looked a bit frightened but sympathetic. "You deadass? Are you for real? If you're fucking with me stop it right now because that ain't nothing to play with."

"Xavier I swear on my life! I swear to God and everything I love." I took off the cardigan and showed him my arms and scars on my shoulder.

His eyes widened. "Oh shit...oh...oh-"

Right before he could get his words out his friend came over.

"Damn X! You weren't playing when you said she was cute."

"We need to get her out of here Damien." He said.

"What?"

"I'll explain in the car. You have the keys?"

"Yeah, What's-"

"Let's go, let's go, let's go." He grabbed my arm and we ran to their car up the street.

"I can't. No, I have to go back! He's gonna find out!"

Xavier sat in the backseat with me while Damien started the car and peeled out the vicinity. I started crying hysterically. Not because they decided to take me but because I knew Bryson was going to find us and god knows what he's going to do. I'm putting them and myself in danger and I'm realizing that.

"Taylor calm down! Put on your seat belt!! D slow down!" Xavier shouted over my crying. I couldn't hear what he said, he fastened my seat belt then his.

I rolled down the window and threw up. Xavier held my hair and patted my back. After I was done, he gave me a napkin to wipe my mouth, unbuckled his seatbelt and got in the middle seat.

"Here. Lay down. It's going to be okay."

I laid my head down on his lap and he caressed my cheek. Bryson does the same thing but it's more terrifying than comforting when he does it.

"We're gonna be in here for about in hour. Will you be alright?" Damien asked.

"Yes." I croaked. "I just wanna sleep now."

"Go ahead. I'll be right here. I'm not going anywhere and you're safe with me. I promise, I'm not going to let anything happen to you."