2.16 - His Arrival

Playlist :

Carry me Home - The Sweeplings.

Alison/Sapphire

"Be good, don't harass Mrs.Smith. I'm getting complaints from her lately." I scolded them. The twins looked down guiltly. I grabbed their chin gently and made them look at me. "Just be good." I said with a smile and kissed their noses, they smiled adorable little smile.

I stood up and grabbed my bag. "Bye mommy!" The twins yelled and ran inside to play with their toys after I replied with a bye of my own. "Here's the money for your bus." Mrs.Smith said while stopping by my side. "Oh! Don't bother Mrs.Smith. The hotel has a cab service. It will be here soon. I better leave." I said and opened the door to leave but stopped in my tracks when the elevator doors opened and Ian's face came in my view. Luckily he was busy on his phone so I managed to close the door quickly before he could see me.

Why is he here? Wasn't he suppose to be in New York with Mr.Brown and Caleb? Oh God! If he realises I don't live there anymore he will definitely tell Caleb and I can't let that happen. Caleb already has a lot on his plate. He has already sacrificed his dream once for me, I can't let that happen again. With my back firmly pressed against the door, I closed my eyes tightly and began praying silently for him to leave.

I sighed in relief when the neighbouring door didn't open. I forgot that no one was living in that house now. Maybe he'll think we were out and leave. After few minutes I heard the elevator door opening and closing. I opened my eyes, Mrs.Smith came in my vision who had a look between 'what-the-fudge' and 'you-poor-soul'.

"Don't even ask." I said and quickly opened the door and shut it behind me. I walked towards the elevator and waited for few minutes before hitting the button. Fortunately Ian's car was turning around the corner when the hotel cab pulled in. I need to be more careful now and I have no freaking idea how I'm gonna do that.

I smiled at my colleagues who smiled back and went back to chatting to themselves. I looked out of the window and smiled when I remembered the day of my interview. The customer loved the dish and we had many other orders about the same. So my interview turned out to be my first day of work. Later that evening we talked about my pay and the day I would like to have a leave. I chose Wednesday since there's a rush in hotels during the weekends. Chef Steven asked if I had any other demands. I only had one, no heels. The whole staff bursted out laughing, even Chef Steven cracked a smile. They agreed though.

We did have a little difficulty convincing the manager since I don't have any degree in this field but the customer turned out to be a critic. The manager had to hire me grudgingly. Chef Steven assured the manager that he'll personally train me and I was more then happy about it.

During the day I bake and in the evening when everyone leaves, Chef Steven trains me in the kitchen while Amanda sits on the counter and watch, sometimes sleep. Turns out Amanda's full name is Amanda Dove Menezes Moss. Yes, she is married to Chef Steven and that's why she spoke to him informally.

I entered the hotel with other staff members and quickly got changed into my chef coat with my name engraved above my left breast.

Sapphire Kingsley.

I fixed my hair meatly and walked inside the kitchen. Everyone greeted me and we got to work. "Chef, we have some important guests. They need blueberry pie for dessert." I furrowed my brows. Blueberry pie? People still order that in big restaurants?

"Don't look at them as important guests, they are just another customer. Make it the way you do." Steven said. I nodded and got to work. Soon the pie was ready and was out of the kitchen.