Chapter Three - The Colonies

I dunno why, but this chapter just seems really boring to me... Eh, I guess it can be a filler. Here you go:

_____________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Three

Eve sighed softly, leaving the room and shutting the door. She walked away from the doorway, leaning against the wall. She couldn't take it anymore. She couldn't think about it. She couldn't. It was impossible. She would start crying if she did, and she hadn't done that since it happened. She refused to do it.

She bit her lip, then walked down the hallway and out the front door. It was now dark, and everyone was likely asleep.

She sat down in the swinging porch bench, staring up at the sky. She

She jumped when she heard the door opening. Murphy walked out of the room, holding a shirt that she assumed he had found on one of the chairs, it was likely Jack's.

"I'm sorry." He said, leaning against the wall with his left arm. "I didn't mean to upset you."

Eve laughed bitterly. "You can stop apologizing."

He smiled. "Hmm... Using my own quote against me, are we?"

Eve nodded. She turned her head to look at him. "You're supposed to be in bed."

"By that logic, so are you. It's only a few cuts and bruises, I'm fine."

Eve sighed. "Not really. A while ago, you were screaming because you were getting punched in the sides."

Murphy nodded, staying silent for a moment, staring up at the stars. "How long was I out?"

"Three days."

Murphy's jaw dropped. He looked shocked.

They stayed in silence, until Murphy realized something. He had no idea where he was. "What is this place?"

"It's a long story." Eve mumbled, but loud enough for Murphy to hear.

"I've got time." He smiled at her, but she was staring up at the stars.

"Well, after about ten years, the radiation had stopped having such a large effect on humans. There were about ten people left in the state, which used to be filled with huge cities and small towns, some with more than a million people in them. The ten people split up into five groups, there were five women and five men. Surprisingly, they all got along well, and they met the person they loved out of those ten people. They repopulated, and now there are five colonies of about 1,000 to 10,000 people." Murphy nodded. That was a lot of people, at least, to him it was.

"Erm... Is this really a colony?" He gestured to the woods, and no other person was in sight.

Eve looked at him, and grinned. "Come on." She stood up, and grabbed his hand. Eve didn't know it, but Murphy was in pure bliss when she held his hand in hers. He stood up, and ran behind her.

He stood up, and ran behind her. They ran through the house, straight down the hallway. Before they did, however, she turned around, smiling at him. She leaned forwards. "Close your eyes." She whispered in his ear.

He stared at her, confused, but did it anyway. She took his hand, and led him to the front door.

The lights shone brightly, and Eve was surprised to see that there was still movement in the city. But, then again, that's just what it was, a city. And cities are always awake and full of life. She went on her toes, whispering in his ear again. "Now, open them."