Susan

They say having a boyfriend is mandatory in high school. I cannot count the number of times I've rolled my eyes at that particular sentence.

Ginny : No but seriously. You have such a pretty face. It'd be such a waste.

Susan : Carla doesn't have a boyfriend.

Ginny : Wait until she shows up at school tomorrow.

I did not like the smirk on her face.
And of course, she proved her word. The next day, when I was trying to be my usual unnoticeable self, Carla and Ginny strode in accompanied by two boys who had their arms around their respective girl's shoulders.
     I know what you're thinking. My friends were kinda supposed to be nerds too, but I guess they just had better socializing power.

I was not fazed by their choices. Both of them liked blondes for some reason.

Carla and Ginny : Hey!

Susan : Hel---

Carla : We met yesterday. Victor, Susan. Susan, Victor.

Susan : Nice to mee---

Ginny : Well, Jace and Victor already knew each other. Great coincidence, huh?

Susan : Yeah, well . . .

Victor : So you're Susan. Carla mentioned you a lot of times during our date yesterday.

Susan : Didn't you guys just meet yesterday?

Carla : Yup.

Susan : . . . . . Stare . . . . . . .

I decided to stay out of it. Jace and Victor were both jocks. Well, maybe my strategy of nerd-getting-the-popular-guy worked great for Carla and Ginny. I changed the topic.

Susan : So, are you girls pumped up for the science fair on saturday or what?

Ginny : Yeah, about that . . . .

Susan : What?

Carla : We kind of planned a double date on that day and we don't think we'll be able to make it back for the fair.

Susan : Oh . . . . We can---

Ginny : ---can't actually. We can't leave early for the fair. We're gonna be spending the whole day at the Weirlocks amusement park.

Victor : Is there a problem?

Carla, Ginny and I had planned to go to this science fair a long time ago. Every thing was perfect. After all, I had initiated it. Although the fair was gonna stay for three days, I couldn't believe Ginny and Carla were ditching me at the last minute.

Ginny : Susan, we're sor-

Susan : No it's alright.

At least I didn't sound . . . . . angry.

Carla : We promise we'll make it up to you.

Susan : Pfft, it's totally okay, you guys. We can go to that fair later.

No we can't. We have to study for the exams after that.

Carla : Yeah, of course.

Ginny : Absolutely.

The school bell sounded.

Jace : Let's go, Ginny.

Victor : See you around, Susan.

Susan : You too.

Maybe I hadn't sounded angry. But that didn't stop the fact that I was highly irritated. My friends just ditched me for their dumb boyfriends! They hadn't even known them for long!

By the time I reached my next class, I realised maybe getting a boyfriend wouldn't be that bad. But it would definitely not be easy either.

My supposed "nerdy" friends were noticed. I wasn't. The pang of guilt was lingering around my belly.
So maybe I am not good enough.

I frowned to myself. That was the last thought I wanted to think about. Ever.
Uh. All the thinking was starting to get to me when suddenly--

Liah (Music club president) : You're singing tomorrow at the summer performance, alright?

I forgot to realize that I wasn't listening to Liah at all.

Susan : . . . . . . . Yeah whatever . . . . .

Liah : We're putting you in last so you'll have everyone's attention. Don't mess up.

Susan : . . . . . . . Fine, whatever. . . . . . . . . . . Wait, what? . . . Blink, blink. . .

Liah : Thanks Susan. We really needed someone to fill up that spot. You're a savior.

Susan : But I don't even---

Liah : You sing great, Susan. See ya.

Susan : ---want to sing. . . . .

I was supposed to be a nerd for heaven's sake!
Dang it!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And the cycle of POVs continues. . . . Hope you're enjoying the story!
- Mallina