Raul

Daniel : Huh, beach party?

Raul : Yup. You'll come, right?

   I wasn't really expecting anything, to be honest. Dave's party was supposed to be for the ballers originally anyway. Daniel's face was thoughtful and he was scanning the ground carefully. Seconds passed.

Raul : Uh, is everything alright?

   Daniel's head snapped up.

Daniel : Um-yeah. It's cool. Yeah sure. If you're going, I'll come too.

   Sheesh, his little comments somehow always managed to fill my heart with pleasure.
The beach party was actually kinda boring. It was like any other high school party, the only difference being the ocean. I was in love with the waves. I was a natural lover of water and summer was my favourite season anyway so you know how it goes.
   I was walking the shore, drink in hand when I noticed a lone figure perched on the sand at a distance. At first, I thought it was just another random kid. But on approaching the person, I was sorta taken aback.

Raul : Daniel?

   Daniel looked up. For a second, it looked like his eyes were teary. Since the sun was gone, I thought I was probably mistaken. But he looked away immediately, brushing a finger against his eyelids. I was instantly sitting beside him.

Raul : Hey, what's the matter?

   Daniel chuckled anxiously, sniffing once. And oh shit, he suddenly slid a hand into mine.

Daniel : You're very cute when you're concerned, you know that?

   My heart was thumping madly now.

Raul : Eh . . . what do you mean?

Daniel : Raul, I need to tell you something.

   . . . . Shit.
   My heart was an elephant. Daniel looked at me. His eyes had calmed down.

Daniel : My father . . . . he changed his job.

   Uh, okay.
   Not what I was expecting to hear, but whatever.

Raul : Um . . . okay. That's, uh, cool . . . ?

Daniel : No, no. . . You don't understand. . . . I'm- I'm moving away.

   Whatever little gusto I had gathered from all the dance and music left my body.
   Definitely not what I was expecting to hear.

Raul : . . . . Huh? What?

Daniel : We're moving to California. Probably by the end of this week.

   And now my eyes widened.

Raul : . . . . You won't even stay for prom?

   It was a joke. I mean I had meant to say that as a joke and I had expected he'd reply accordingly.

Daniel : . . . No.

   His straightforwardness killed me. The despair on his face killed me. The gloom in his voice killed me.

Raul : Does anyone else know about this?

   My voice was as blank as a sheet.

Daniel : No. You're the first and only one to know.

Raul : . . . . Huh? What about Jeremiah?

Daniel : He'll . . . . He'll be just fine. He has Susan now. I'm glad because of that. I don't think I can tell him. I'll probably never see you guys again.