Raul

Raul : Woah, can you believe it? I can't decide who's more unlucky.

Pam : Yeah, well, they definitely don't deem compatible. . . . Not at first sight, at least.

Raul : Right? Although, you never know when it's gonna turn right around with Susan and Jeremiah.

I was dancing internally again. If Jeremiah stayed away from Daniel, I'd have an opening. A wide, wide opening. For a long, long time. Even though my smile spread from ear to ear, Pam's face fell. I raised an eyebrow.

Raul : Is something the matter?

Pam : . . . . . . . What? Uh, no. . . . . Nothing's the matter. Let's get on with the assignment.

Raul : . . . . . Sure.

Since most of the time I thought Pam was acting weirdly ended up by just me being paranoid, I chucked Pam's indifference out of my mind.

After English class, as I walked out of the classroom, I received a well awaited text message—

'Daniel : What up! So party at my house this Saturday. Bring any friend and of course yourself.'

I was immediately smiling again.

Pam : What you smiling like that for? You look really creepy. Stop it.

Raul : Daniel's having a party this Saturday. At his house! And of course I'm invited. He said I can bring any friend, so you're coming with me.

Pam : Oh, that's it? You seem too excited for just another high school party.

Raul : It's not just another high school party! It's a very important party.

Pam rolled her eyes.

Pam : So, when you gonna tell him?

Raul : Whom what?

Pam : Daniel, you idiot. When you gonna tell Daniel about . . . you know what I mean?

      I did alright.

      I thought all about what Pam had suggested throughout the rest of the school day. As soon as the last bell rang, I sprinted toward Daniel's locker. I wanted to see to it that he invited me face to face. However, I couldn't find him anywhere near the lockers. With a sinking heart and scrunched up brows, I walked out the school building and 'cross the school field to my car.

I waited for Pam, leaning against my car. Even though my mind had descended into utter gloom, my luck hadn't completely run out yet. A few minutes later, Daniel emerged out of nowhere and spotted me from afar. I waved back in reply to his. Surprisingly, Jeremiah had turned invisible. Daniel jogged up to me.

Daniel : Hey! Did you receive my text message?

Raul : Ye—

Daniel : Of course you did.

And as Daniel grinned at me, my stomach rode the tallest rollercoaster through the garden of giant-winged butterflies. I clenched my jaw to resist doing anything to him.

Daniel : So, do you want to help me organize the party?

Raul : You'll let me do that?

Daniel : Yeah, duh.

I failed at resisting his absolute charm. Pretty badly.
The next moment, my hands were holding his face and my lips were caressing his. I kissed him very gently. But it wasn't returned. The moment I realized my feat by perceiving the stricken look in his eyes, I withdrew faster than the wind.

Oh shit! Shit, shit, shit!

I was at a loss of words. I had taken him by surprise. I couldn't read his countenance. I couldn't fathom what he was thinking.
Daniel stared at me with incomprehensible eyes. It seemed to be going on for a long, long time. He didn't say or do anything. Just stared at me.

Raul : Daniel, I'm—

Without warning, he turned on his heels and walked away, at a fast pace. I couldn't move my legs or my lips. I wanted to call after him. I was intensely alarmed. I turned my head to gaze at his withdrawing figure and noticed Pam standing near a tree. Daniel strode past her without any awareness of her being there. Luckily, besides her, I was pretty sure no one had witnessed whatever had happened right then.

Why didn't Daniel say anything?! Damn it!

Pam's pupils were blank. She didn't approach me. I was kinda thankful for that. I wanted to be left alone.
I clenched my fists and glared at the ground.

Ugh! In the end, life never failed to fail me!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Whoop, little more action. . . Although there weren't any intricate details. . . Heh heh . . .
Who else feels bad for Pam?
Vote and comment!
- Mallina