Susan

After studying for a simultaneous three-hour period, when I finally lifted my head from my books in the library, I realized that Nick was supposed to show up any moment. And even when minutes of clearing-stuff-up passed, all I still had in my head were thoughts about that stupid Jeremiah.

    Jerk, Jerk, Jerk, Jerk, Jerk, Jerk. . . . . .

Nick : Hey! Let's go.

      I forced myself to smile and follow Nick to his car. Well, this was a first.
      Fortunately, Ginny and Carla had turned up fifteen minutes after my "crash" with Jeremiah and narrated their whole excuse story. And according to them, they were called by the counselor for some social media—security problem—campaign work, or something like that . . . . .  And they got to know about it at the last minute so they couldn't get a chance to inform me.

      After they were done with their narration, they gave me some tips on how to make a conversation last longer. I needed extra points this time as I would have to be talking to a boy.

      Since it was way past noon, I suggested going to a cafe for a light luncheon and some coffee. Nick agreed immediately. We drove to a cafe whose name I couldn't pronounce. The location was near few streetball courts.

Susan : So, how was your day today?

      I was horrendously surprised when I realized that the conversation had been begun by me after we were seated at the cafe, facing each other. Nick smiled.

Nick : Kind of lonely. What about you?
      Playing flirty or something? Well, that was another first. If that makes sense.

Susan : Weird. It always is actually.

Nick : Yeah, no kidding.

      Wait, what the

Susan : Aha.

     This guy was already past me. I could see right through him. His smile was completely fake too.

Nick : So, uh, do you like me?
      Getting right to the point, already!
     Well, that was fast.

     Wish I could answer you, kid, but
      I looked out the window. And to my surprise, I noticed something I hadn't noticed before. In one of the streetball courts outside the cafe, few boys from school were playing ball. And one of them was the possessor of the exceptional stare that had caught me off guard. My heart protested to think otherwise but I stopped. I couldn't shift my gaze.
      Jeremiah looked extraordinarily beautiful as he dribbled past the opponents and scored a basket. I smirked and frowned to myself at the same time.

      Luckily the one sitting in front of me hadn't followed my line of stare as he was too busy texting someone. A nerve twitched in my right temple.
      Sure. How could this day get any better?
      So I did something. I pulled a string here and there and the glass filled with water on the table right in front of Nick toppled over him. Okay fine, maybe I had just pulled the tablecloth a bit sharply and surreptitiously but whatever. He stood up abruptly, his pants soaking wet.

Nick : What the—

Susan : Oh! There's a washroom right over there.

Nick : Sorry, I'll be back.

      Who are you kidding?

Susan : Take your time.

      The nincompoop-ish part about all these popular brats was that they never thought of anything. The kid left his phone behind. Now of course I'm not one of those dishonest girlfriends, but the irritating sound of notifications that kept resounding again and again was irresistible. I glanced at the screen for a fleeting moment.

'Dave : Okay, you win. I can't believe the Susan chick actually fell for it. But oh well, not a cent more than twenty, alright!'

       Wait, WHAT?!
       The violent winds inside my head turned to a full-blown storm. I couldn't decide who was the bigger asshole. Jeremiah might've been rude, but he had an excuse for being caught up in the situation. But the apparent disaster was incomprehensibly unexpected and couldn't even be compared with the former's case.

      Suddenly I felt happy about spilling the water on Nick. In fact I should've turned the whole table over him.
      What a backstabbing prankster!
      I failed to understand the policy of the females at my school, but whatever occurred, Nick had to be shunned. At least by me. So I gathered my stuff and straight up, walked out of the place.

      My life just never failed to fail me!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Did anyone see that coming?
Comment to let me know!
Also vote!
Thanks!
- Mallina