Susan

They say everything happens for a reason.

   But I'm not sure if that applies to whatever happened to Jeremiah. At first, I thought it was a joke. But of course even the most darkest humorists wouldn't joke about something so awful.

  It was true I had noticed his absence and sure I had tagged along with Daniel and the others but what was I to do after that? What was I to tell Jeremiah?
   I hadn't even known him long enough to offer valid consolation. And I'm definitely not one of those idiots who like to indebt people with fake kindness.
   But I had to do something

   The door to his house had opened and he and Daniel had just embraced when Pam started crying. I noticed how inexplicably glum the others were even though I was almost sure that none of them actually liked or knew Jeremiah properly either. Was loss something to bring people together, as much as love?

   I also noticed this weird look in Raul. And only Raul. As if he was the only one who was left out from a pre-planned bungee jumping trip.
   And when I looked at Jeremiah and he caught my eye, I wanted to sprint away with my non existent tail between my legs. It was like his soul was drowning in the ocean of his eyes. As if the earth had opened up and sucked every last bit of his heart into the lava within it. 

   As soon as I averted my gaze, I realised that Pam, Kaedan, Tara and Raul were gone. Somehow they had managed to convey their condolences and leave without me noticing. I couldn't really blame them for not staying.
   Was I that lost in Jeremiah's eyes that I couldn't even discern their movement? 

   Daniel and I (the only ones left) entered the sad, dark house. The way the furniture and everything else was placed inside the house, it seemed like nothing had been moved from the position it had been touched last. Only the drawing room looked used.
   My heart sagged as I took all the grief in.
   The house seemed lonely besides the three of us.

Susan : Uh, where's your . . . uh, father?

   As Jeremiah's face drained of all its color, I knew I shouldn't have opened my mouth.

   Shit, wrong question. Shit, wrong question!

   Jeremiah exhaled quickly.

Jeremiah : Wish I knew.

   His expression was so scary I wanted to jump out the window!

Susan : Sor—sorry! I didn't—

Daniel : So what the doctor say?

   I stopped.
   Thanks, Daniel! 

   Jeremiah inhaled this time. A long, long intake of breath. He bit his lip. His voice was still as toneless.
   Daniel gulped beside me.

Jeremiah : Heart failure. If only I'd noticed. 

Daniel : Where are you gonna stay? I mean, how—

Jeremiah : My uncle. He'll accommodate me.

Daniel : Are you moving in?

Jeremiah : Mm.

   I was missing the whole point, but I couldn't care less. I kept my mouth shut tight.

Daniel : Dude, I'm so sorry. I— we— we will . . . see you at school . . . right?

Jeremiah : . . . . I don't know.

   Something happened to my heart again. I could exchange the world for a better feeling. Jeremiah slumped in a brown sofa.

Daniel : Are you alright?

   Jeremiah sighed in reply.

Jeremiah : The funeral's day after tomorrow. Will you come?