Jeremiah

Kaedan was right once again. As soon as Susan and I got together, time flew by like that was its job.
And before anyone knew it, prom was knocking at our doorsteps.
But before that, Daniel was leaving his own.

Jeremiah : We'll talk, right?

Daniel : You bet.

My heart sank at his downcast voice.

Jeremiah : Hey, Daniel?

He bore his gloom filled eyes into mine.

Jeremiah : You are a great friend.

Daniel smiled sadly.

Daniel : Great friends don't leave their friends behind.

Jeremiah : Okay then, at least you're good enough.

We looked at each other.

Daniel : I'm so sorry, man.

Jeremiah : And I'm sorry for shouting at you and for all the troubles I ever caused you.

Daniel : No more apologies?

Jeremiah : No more apologies. No regrets?

Daniel shook my hand.

Daniel : No regrets.

And that's how we good friends exchanged our farewells. I had no idea if I'd ever see him again, but I learnt one thing. Daniel had taught me that trusting people, even if few, was necessary for survival in this world. He had earned my trust. And that trust he was gonna maintain. All I had to do now was find a way to gain more from his guidance. And I knew just where to start.

   Ah man . . . I was gonna miss that guy.

I took a leave from my part time job the day of the junior prom. As usual, Susan was outside my uncle's door as soon as I stepped out.

Jeremiah : Your resources again?

Susan only smiled. And oh my shit did she look gorgeous in her cream coloured short prom dress. Her contacts made her eyes glitter in the twilight. We walked together all the way to school, taking slow steps so we could make most of the little journey.

Susan : Aren't you gonna miss him?

Jeremiah : More than he can imagine.

I looked at her. She sighed.

Susan : Then that's good.

Jeremiah : Huh? Why?

Susan : I thought you'd go into one of your phases again.

Jeremiah : What the heck do you possibly mean by that?

Susan laughed.

Susan : Let's enjoy prom while we can!

And we did. I had the best fun since the beach party. And that seemed a long time ago. A lot of other people joined our conversations, including a few of my bullies who had apologised since my loss. After sharing explanations and anecdotes, Susan and I were suddenly surrounded by many new people, gushing to know the latest developments. Trust me, it couldn't have been better. Susan's best friends, Ginny and Carla I think, squealed the loudest. And they were all over me, congratulating and . . . whatever other stuff best friends did for their best friend who got into relationships.

It really couldn't have been better. Or so I thought.

After Susan's mesmerising performance ended and she was showered with thunderous rounds of applause, Liah took center stage.

Liah : And now! For the moment we've all been waiting for!

Everybody clapped and howled.

Liah : This year's prom queen and king are—drumrrrrollllllll—

Somehow, a lot of people shot meaningful looks toward Susan and me.

Haha! Not in a million years.
Susan and I exchanged 'That's totally impossible' glances and eye rolls.

Liah : —Tara Busters and Dave Milton!

The crowd : Woah!

The spotlight landed on Tara and Dave.
Now that I thought about it, Tara had completely disappeared from our sight during Dave's beach party. . .

Susan whooped and cheered them on. I mimicked her. The crowd then gave way and the two of them received their crowns with stupefied surprise.
Just as we were about to resume dancing, Liah interjected on the mic again.

Liah : But it's not over yet folks! We decided to include something extra this year. Something different. And a lot of you voted for a best couple title.

Susan : Woah. They had something like that?

Liah : And the title of the best couple this year goes to—

   I merely shrugged in reply to Susan. Susan smirked. We began sauntering away from the stage.
   We couldn't possibly care les—

Liah : Susan and Jeremiah!

We snapped our heads around with unbelievable speed.

Susan and Jeremiah : What?!

The crowd was silent for a moment before bursting into peals of laughter, applause and absolute excitement.

The crowd : WOOOOOOOOO!!

   We were gently pushed all the way to the podium.

Susan : You sure there hasn't been a mistake?

Liah chuckled.

Liah : Shut your mouth for once Susan, please. Congratulations you both.

And as the student photographer clicked our pictures where we posed with the brightest smiles stretched across our faces, Susan held on to me tightly.
What had begun as a mere share of eye contact had ended in this beautiful bond of love.

As long as Susan never let go of me and continued being a part of my life that could now finally start to take some shape, I knew I'd find the happiness I'd always aspired for.

It was more than good enough for me.
~~~

And this ends Jeremiah's POV for the entirety of this story . . .
I'm aLreAdY CryInG!  X") 
I don't know about you guys . . .
And of course, don't forget to vote and COMMENT whatever you felt about this kid (Jeremiah) during the whole course of this story!
Also, share this story if you can!
Thank you!
X")
- Mallina