Raul

I was sad. Very sad. The heartbroken kind of sad. Because like duh.

   I'm not a poetic person so it's not like I could've expressed my emotions any better or with finer detail.
   Pam was the only one to whom I could confide what had happened.

Raul : And finally, he rejected me, Pam.

   I couldn't figure out if it was just my despondent voice or my blank face that made Pam hug me. For a second I couldn't breathe. I hugged her back carelessly. Then she let go of me.

Pam : I'm not sure if I should tell you this but—

Raul : But what?

Pam :  . . . I— I actually kinda knew that he liked Jeremiah. Now obviously if I told you about that the moment I got to know it, you wouldn't take it easily. So . . . yeah.

   I stared at her for the briefest of moments.

Pam : I'm sorry, dude.

Raul : Why are you apologising? It's not like it was your fault. I should've listened to you, you know. I shouldn't have done something so . . . dumb. When I knew that I could be doomed. . .

Pam : Okay, that's enough. It's just one rejection. You're just sad because it was your first maybe. 'Cause you don't have any experience.

Raul : Staaaaarreeeeee . . . Now that I think about it, have you ever been rejected before?

Pam :  . . . Nope.

Raul : Then how can you possibly know what I'm feeling right now? And anyways, seriously? You've never been rejected before? I find that hard to believe. 

Pam : First of all, you would've known if I ever had been rejected by anyone and second, I never really asked anyone out, you know. So how could I possibly be rejected?

Raul : Huh? Why though?

Pam :  . . . I can't believe you're actually asking me that.

Raul : What?

Pam : Nothing. Never mind about me. Tell me exactly what he said, did or looked like.

   I didn't press her. So I narrated the exact details of the event to her instead.

Pam : He wasn't too happy anyway, you're saying?

Raul : Yeah . . . Why?

Pam : Dude, I think he too was rejected.

Raul : Gasp . . . By Jeremiah?

Pam : Duh!

   I didn't need to contemplate this. But even through all the wretchedness and even though I knew I shouldn't feel happy that Daniel was sad too, my inner soul couldn't resist doing a little pirouette. Pam was definitely right. After all, she always was.

   The party lasted way longer but Pam and I left a little early.
   The next day, my head was overflowing with mixed feelings as I walked through the corridors at school with Pam. I was highly anxious about seeing Daniel and, or, Jeremiah. Pam was my only support and consolation.

   The first half of the day went pretty fairly during when neither of the two popped up before me and I played quite well in a practise basketball match against another team from another school during gym.
   But as soon as the bell for recess sounded and everyone filed into the cafeteria, I walked right into Jeremiah. Weird enough, he was still accompanied by Daniel. I reconsidered the thought about the two in my head. I highly doubted casting a glance at them would be derogatory but yet on doing it, I regretted it horribly.

   Jeremiah stared back with his usual emotionless look. But it was Daniel who affected me the most. He actually smiled genuinely, making my heart melt faster than mercury. He looked so delightful I wanted to run straight into a pole, acquire a nosebleed and die.

   I continued gaping at him dreamily as he walked away after giving me a little wave.

   When recess got over, I realised I had english next.
   And both Daniel and Jeremiah were gonna be in that class. All the confidence I had gathered until then bled out of me. Again.

   Thankfully, Pam chose a seat in the front row and I seated myself in the seat beside hers. Therefore, the distance between us and Jeremiah and Daniel, them being backbenchers, was at least that of ten feet. I guess.

   And even more thankfully, Ms Clarkson decided to let us read the textbook in silence so nobody received a chance to talk with anybody. After class got over, Pam and I were the first ones to leave. I didn't really want to avoid Daniel. The nagging increased at the back of my mind. So involuntarily, at the end of the day, I walked toward his locker like I always did. But on reaching the place, I noticed only Jeremiah leaning against one of the lockers, staring into his phone. I heaved a sigh and decided I had no choice but to confront him and bring my mind at peace.

Raul : What up?

Jeremiah :  . . . Oh hi. Just waiting for Daniel.

   I hesitated for a second. But realised there was no other way to it.

Raul : Can I ask you something? Don't mind me though.

   Jeremiah put his phone away and looked at me with his straight face. I took a deep breath.

Raul : Did you reject Daniel when he confessed to you?

   Now of course I knew I shouldn't have phrased it that way. I wasn't even sure if Daniel had really confessed to him. But I found it to be the swiftest way of confirming things even though it was a huge risk. Jeremiah's face instantly darkened. His stare changed into a glare with hints of alarm.

Jeremiah : How did you—

   My shoulder muscles could've never been so relaxed.

Raul : So it is true?

   He didn't reply. I took that as a definite yes. Daniel must've been feeling the same as me then.
   And yet I couldn't resist myself from smiling broadly. After all, he still had regarded me in the cafeteria. My mind zoomed into overdrive. Without realising I blurted it out—

Raul : I knew I could count on you! I'm glad it was you, you know.

  Shaking my head at Jeremiah's absolute look of utter surprise and confusion, I walked away.

   I couldn't've been happier.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Like the pace of the story? Or should I make it slower?
Comment and vote and let me know.
And keep reading! ;)
- Mallina