Raul

Isn't it weird how the universe always gets its way of hurting the people we try to protect the most?

   If only I could meet the one who arranged every event to ever happen on earth. I wondered what he looked like.
   Besides these strangely philosophical ideas entering my head, time shot by faster than a sonic boom.
   And before I knew it, I was dragged into the whole "funeral ordeal". I could exchange the world just to escape that. But of course, I couldn't find a suitable trader.

   Although, part of me really wanted to hide in my closet, the other part wanted me to accompany Daniel till the end of the ocean.
   And if that wasn't worse enough, Daniel wasn't the only one to be horribly effected.

Raul : Pam, why won't you answer my texts? Is everything alright? I thought you didn't like Jeremiah.

Pam : It's. . . . it's not— is it bad that Kaedan and I kissed?

   My eyes widened. Don't blame me! It was the way she phrased it!

Raul : Bad? That's . . . awesome! I mean, Kaedan's liked you for a long time, you know that? So you two are dating now?

   I stopped when Pam gave me another one of her "looks". But this time, it felt different. The peculiar different. As if she was trying to convey something to someone but failing so badly that she'd rather be having a conversation with a wall.

Raul : Wha—what? Why are you looking at me like that? Did I say something wrong? What—you don't like Kaedan? Do you want me to tell him somethi—

Pam : No. No, its not like that.

Raul : Then what's the problem? I think you'd make a great pair. You're both sporty and perfectly compatible.

   Pam sighed deeply. Then she smiled. Yet I felt a weird concern reflecting off her.
   Was it just me? My sick heart? My pissed off head?

   Pam slid her back pack 'cross her shoulder and strode off after giving me a quick wave.
Hm, she seemed skeptically unhappy. Was I supposed to be worried? Or it was probably just one of her moods.

   As I made my way to the parking lot after school ended, I had the unfortune to run into Daniel. He had apparently been exiting the washroom when he looked up and caught my eye.

Raul : Hi. How's it—uh, going?
   He gave me a microscopic smile.

Daniel : Um, kinda going back to normal, I guess. It's been pretty random lately. I haven't been able to sort my thoughts much. But yeah. You?

   Me? Oh, I'm just chilling like I've never heard worse from the love of my life who just never threw all those words like puke all over my face. Yup. It's great. Better than a vacation in Hawaii.

   I was glad my mouth hadn't actually opened though.

Daniel : You will come tomorrow, right?

   GOD!
   Doesn't seem like much of a choice, does it?

Raul : I will.

   My muscles contracted further when his shoulders relaxed. Why did the universe have to be so cruel?

Daniel : Thanks, Raul. . . . I've been thinking. . . Um . . .

   He actually fidgeted.

Raul : . . . . What's up?

Daniel : I'm really sorry, Raul. About how I responded. You know—

   Oh hell naw, I'm not gonna allow you.

Raul : Ah yeah. It's totally cool. We're friends, right? I completely understand your feelings.

   And then the most absurd thing happened.
   He held my hand!

Daniel : They weren't kidding. You're really nice, Raul. I'm glad I ever met you, you know that?

   Whaaaaaaaaat?!
   That's the best thing I could ever hear.
   It took me everything to not fall upon his neck.

   So it was pretty obvious that I felt like utter shit the next day.
   I'm kinda sure you can imagine my state of mind when the rites got over.
   And if not, I can't blame you. Neither could I.

   Before I felt like leaving, I decided talking to Daniel would help me out. But on scanning the surrounding, I realized he wasn't around. I walked through the cemetery and outside. Frustration was starting to seep through me. And then I saw him.
   Correction, them.

   Apparently, Daniel and Jeremiah were sitting under a huge tree with spreading branches. Since I couldn't think of anything else, I shifted closer without a sound and hid myself behind a parked car.

Daniel : — it's just that I wanted to know.

Jeremiah : Well, to heck with it! I don't care about anything anymore! I thought you knew that.

Daniel : I—

Jeremiah : Just leave me alone, Daniel, please.

   I could've punched Jeremiah even though I couldn't blame him long. Enough was enough. I was so busy fuming at the ground for the next few seconds, I didn't notice someone had walked up behind me.

Daniel : Raul, what are you doing?

   I jumped so hard I could've hopped to Jupiter.

Raul : I wasn't—

Daniel : I'm glad you didn't leave.

Raul : Ah, yeah. . . . So—

Daniel : Let's run.
   I blinked.

Raul : . . . . What?

   And then we were suddenly running. Daniel didn't stop, neither did I. His hand was in mine. That's all I cared about. We must've run a mile before Daniel slowed to a halt. Being part of the basketball team wasn't a bad idea after all. I looked around. The place was deserted, I had no idea of our whereabouts.

Raul : So why are we—

   I stopped. Daniel sniffed. Once. Then twice.
   Shit, shit, shit, shit!

   And then he hugged me, hiding his face in my shoulder.

Daniel : Just— just bear with me. I'm sorry, I'm being so selfish right now. Please.
   I was melting.

Raul : It's— It's—Okay. Wha—dude, what's the— Ahh. . .

   He was so warm. His hands felt so strong around my back. His hair brushing against my cheek was soft as cotton. His breath grazed my neck. Every inch of my body tingled. I realised he was slightly shorter than me.
   WHAT WAS WITH THIS?!

   Even though I was enjoying it thoroughly, I knew that at that moment, Daniel wasn't really thinking about me.
   Oh dear god, how cruel is this universe?

   And when Daniel didn't let go of me,

   I couldn't decide what to feel.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello!
I love it when people cry while hugging other people. I have no idea why though. It just feels so dramatic when they hide their faces in other people's hair . . . or something.
Oh and don't forget to vote and comment what you thought of this chapter!
Spread the love.
- Mallina :)