Pam

My head was pounding incredulously due to the uncontrollable feelings of devastation and rage spinning inside it like clothes in a washing machine.

Raul : Finally, he rejected me, Pam.

  If only I could strangle that piece of shit to death!

   I couldn't take it. I flung my arms around Raul. My heart felt like it was being torn apart.

Raul : Staaaaarreeeeee . . . Now that I think about it, have you ever been rejected before?

   My stomach lurched uncomfortably. But I managed to keep my voice from trembling.

Pam : . . . Nope.

Raul : Then how can you possibly know what I'm feeling right now? And anyways, seriously? You've never been rejected before? I find that hard to believe.

   I wish I could enlighten him.
   Someone wake him up!

Pam : First of all, you would've known if I ever had been rejected by anyone and second, I never really asked anyone out, you know. So how could I possibly be rejected?

Raul : Huh? Why though?

   Because you're the only one I could ever think of, idiot!
   My hand was shaking. I wanted to feel him. But I knew I had to resist.
   Why is it always us girls who have to be the ones to perform sacrifices?

   I was constantly conflicting with my senses the next day at school. Even though Raul was with me, his mind was elsewhere and that's what affected me the most.
   We had practice matches for an upcoming basketball tournament that morning and my eyes were almost always on Raul playing on the court beside ours except the parts when I was the one to shoot.
   After we won all our matches with huge gaps in the scores, the girls and the boys basketball teams received pep talks from the two captains together. And then it happened. Kaedan flashed me a glance like no other.

Kaedan : And we hope the ace, Pam, will lead the girls basketball team to certain victory this year in this tournament too.

   As I had already mentioned, I was not entitled. Moreover, very few called me the ace. My head shot up to find his face. Everybody else repeatedly stared at me and then at  Kaedan. Nope, I'd heard right. And he was definitely not joking as he had sounded  quite serious.
   Since I couldn't figure out what to do, I gave a slight nod.
   Kaedan smiled. But what really caught my fancy was the look in his eyes. He seemed extra dedicated suddenly.

   But I was the only one who had noticed.

   After school, Raul headed out of the classroom without me. Even though my heart clenched up at this feat of his, I did not protest since I knew what he was going to do or where he was going to go. And it's not like I wouldn't still be his best friend.

   I walked glumly out of the school building suddenly finding the ground immensely interesting. Right when I was about to turn the corner to enter an alleyway, I walked straight into someone. Crashing into people was becoming annoyingly common for me now.

Pam : Sor— Oh, Kaedan.

   Kaedan blinked at me first. Then realizing who I was, fingered his hair and flashed me a blinding toothy smile.

Kaedan : Hey!

Pam : Why did you call me the ace today?

Kaedan : Why? Because you are the ace. Isn't it obvious?

   I pursed my lips at his perfectly unperturbed and casual behavior, but didn't say anything more.

Kaedan : Raul's not with you?

Pam : No. Listen, why do you always ask that?

   Kaedan scratched the back of his head in a cutely boyish way.

Kaedan : I thought that was supposed to be obvious too. . . I like to know if I'm gonna get you all to myself or if Raul's gonna come 'round and burst the bubble. If that makes any sense.

   And then he stopped abruptly. I knew immediately that he had let those words slip by mistake. He blushed charmingly, his eyes examining something in the background.

Pam : So, are you going out with someone or you're still single?

   Kaedan looked at me like I'd said the most absurd thing on earth. True though, I hadn't expected my mind to retaliate in such a way. I internally rolled my eyes at myself. I knew what the answer was gonna be even before he could open his mouth.
   He shook his head.

Kaedan : I don't know. I just haven't been able to think about anybody else.

   Oh . . . shit . . . okay . . . okay then . . .
   He bore his eyes into mine.

Pam : I—

Kaedan : I know— I won't force you.

Pam : —will go out with you. . .

   Kaedan's eyes widened and his face flushed harder.

Pam : —that is, if you want me to. I know it's really selfish of me. But I'm almost completely sure that I don't have any chance with . . . you know. So— yeah.

   Kaedan's next smile could've shot any girl dead.
  Without a warning, his arms closed around my back.
   And even though I always thought that I would never give in so easily, right then, I found myself back tracking. Maybe it was just Kaedan's overwhelming passion. Or that I was being so clearly noticed. I bit my lip and sighed silently, trying hard to fight back the frown that was threatening to curve my brows. Yup,

   I couldn't've been happier.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IN case you're wondering and/or confused, Pam's last sentence is supposed to be sarcastic.
And who else ships them? ^_^
Vote, share and COMMENT if you liked this chapter!
Thank you all once again. We're so near to reaching a 100 votes and 500 reads! Yaatttaaaa!!
Thanks for motivating me. I hope you all will continue doing so.
And keep reading!
- Mallina