Jeremiah

Okay fine, maybe playing ball with Daniel and the other guys wasn't as boring as I'd thought it'd turn out to be.

Kaedan : I never saw you play before but you got a ton of potential in you, man.

Jeremiah : Oh, uh, yeah, thanks, well . . .

      Daniel smiled at me while the guy named Raul continued glaring at me. I felt an incessant itch to go slap him with the words 'What's your deal, dude?' really hard across his face but something told me that I'd better refrain from any such thing. And somehow that weird vibe seemed to be reflecting off a certain girl. Pam, I think it was.

Daniel : Why don't you join the basketball team? I can bet anything that you'd ace the tryouts.

Jeremiah : . . . Shrug . . .

Daniel : Don't just shrug!

As we all wrapped up to leave, a chill ran down my spine. I looked up and scanned the place around me. Someone was definitely staring at us. Or just me. The mood of the person must've been out of sync with their thoughts considering the peculiarity level of the chill.

Daniel : Wanna come over at my place today?

Jeremiah :  . . . . . . . .

Daniel : Hey, you listening?

      I wasn't. Because for the tiniest second, I could've sworn that Susan had stared right into my eyes. But then she was gone so immediately that I was almost sure that I'd imagined it.

      I admit I hadn't expected the next day at school to turn out as it did. After the "event" near the staircase and with all the rumors reflecting off the walls in the corridors, Susan was the last person I would've settled upon to come face to face with. The foredoomed point in time of the fatal meet was chosen to take place in the English class. I decided literature was to become one of my wretched subjects.

Ms Clarkson ( The strange English teacher ) : Okay, everyone. You're all gonna have to be working in pairs for this next assignment and I'm gonna be deciding the pairs. So let's start from here. Dave will be Liah's partner, Daniel can pair up with Tara, Raul and Pam will be partners, and Jeremiah shall pair up with . . . . Ah! Susan—

      . . . . . Wait a fucking second . . . . . . . WHAT?!

My head whipped around on its own. And weirder than ever, Susan's face was completely empty. I thought there didn't exist another kid who could become my rival in face unreadability. But her features right then were so unfathomable that I felt the same chill run down my spine again.

So I was perfectly not imagining it yesterday!

Why god, why?

Ms Clarkson : Okay, start working now. And don't disrupt the discipline in the class!

Of course, my personality was not gonna change so quickly. However creepy her vibes could be, I was surely gonna remain my usual bold self. But somehow, it didn't seem like she was gonna snap my head off because of what happened near the staircase. It looked like she was trying to concentrate really hard on something.

Jeremiah :  . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Susan :  . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

      The silence was killing me. All she did was stare at me. In the most condescending way possible. My head was starting to heat up. Someone needed to speak up.

Jeremiah :  . . . . . . . . Uh—

Susan : So you're the rude kid who likes to hurl crude words at other people but never gets good grades anyway. How lame. I can't believe my luck to be paired up with you.

      I clenched my fist. My head was on fire now!

Jeremiah : What the hell did you just—

Susan : Yeah, yeah. Let's just get this over with. You can try and be compelling later. Got a lot of time for that, right? Why don't you let me do all the work? I'm the smart one here after all.

      If she was trying to get revenge, then it was definitely working. If her luck was unbelievable then mine was downright ridiculous.
      And I had thought I'd felt a connection with her. I thought I could approach her.

      Supposing the circumstances now, I couldn't help but roll my eyes at my far-fetched resolve of utter stupidity. Students around us started murmuring stuff and they forgot to be quiet about it.

Random murmuring student number one : Woah, look there! They're definitely getting serious about this.

About what?

Random murmuring student number two : Hm, Susan and Jeremiah, huh? I can't really imagine them together but let's just wait and see what happens.

I was fucking ready to kill them all!

As soon as I turned to glare at them, they threw their gazes out the window. Immensely annoyed, I faced Susan again.

Jeremiah : Hey, you didn't even let me—

Susan : Tch. . . .

My eyes widened. Did she just scoff at me?! My lips couldn't resist curving into the most absurd smirk due to the imprudently droll situation.

My life just wouldn't fail to fail me!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This chapter features the greatly transformed Susan 2.0 . . . (Not too greatly though) Keep reading this book to get more of this! ;)
Also vote and comment what you think about this Susan!
.
.
.
- Mallina