Susan

At first, I couldn't believe what I was doing. Or saying.
But then I realized it.

Reprimanding someone like Jeremiah was way too easy. Even for someone like me. Right then, I couldn't call myself a nerd anymore. After all, nerds are not supposed to have any social skills.

My tongue just kept moving and the words kept flowing out of my mouth like the Nile. My statements were too strong and a little too metallic. Maybe my head was reacting on its own due to the sheer display of bitterness that my "partner" had shown earlier.
   Well, I wasn't wrong when I'd thought that I could approach him but let's face it, I didn't expect this.
   Ah, why did he have to catch my eye of all people?

   Suddenly something ticked inside me.
   Did I just admit that he had indeed captured my interest?
   No, no, no, no, no. . . . I gotta focus. I'm still myself. And he has a girlfriend.

Jeremiah : Hey, you didn't even let me—

Apologize? Yeah, well . . . I don't plan to let you either.

Susan : Tch. . . .

That simple scoff got him. I could literally see the fire blazing in his eyes. I paused for a moment. He smirked the strangest smirk. That boy in front of me must have a lot of things on his mind all the time. Because however regardless he might seem at hindsight, his inner self deemed tired. Others might not be able to see it, but I could see it perfectly.
And then I decided, I had gone too far.
So I let him be. I completed the assignment very quickly after that, although I didn't forget to keep my guard up. I walked out as soon as the class ended. I didn't want to see his face again for the rest of the day.
He very, very unfortunately made me feel vulnerable.
Me!

After the horrible "outing" with Nick, I had promised myself that I wouldn't submit to foolishness again. Therefore, I needed to just be myself.

However, fate and luck had other things in store for me.

As soon as the school day ended, and I reached my locker to prepare for my daily stride home, he showed up again. I was startled, to be honest. Very much startled.
The worst part was that he had not only come to meet me, he had run all the way! He panted as he straightened to his full height and met my gaze.

Jeremiah : I will speak first this time. So keep your mouth shut.

My heart felt like someone was beating it like a drum. Jeremiah's eyes were so poised, so firm, that I wavered under his gaze. Damn, why did god have to grant him such a stare of all people! As I looked at him closely, I made out his other features and realized how pretty he was. His face had a perfect outline with a sharp chin and clean, great eyebrows. I wondered how good he'd look if he smiled. That is, if he ever smiled. He seemed like he hadn't smiled forever.

Susan : You're not supposed to talk to a girl like that, you know.

No! I didn't really want to attack.

Jeremiah : Well, sorry, alright! For everything! About yesterday and now! Listen, yesterday I was "mentally unreserved". I didn't know what I was doing. I didn't even figure out that I'd crashed into you after I reached my destination of ascent. And all these rumors around are killing me. Do you know how to stop it?

I was speechless.
   So, he can be a normal guy, huh? Well, that was better than expected at least.

Susan : No, I don't know how to stop the rumors. But trust me, I'm not particularly happy about them either. . . Anyways, that all you had to say?

   He stiffened momentarily.
   I guessed the answer to be a no.

Jeremiah : I don't know if you were trying to take revenge from me this morning, but it felt good.

   —huh?

Jeremiah : Although I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have been the same on somebody else.

   I stared at the guy in front of me. Did the atmosphere around us just change? I felt no challenging vibes anymore. What the hell happened?

Jeremiah : Also, my friend is hosting a party this weekend and he wants me to bring someone with me. Another friend. Of course I'm just asking and it's not a big deal really, but would you come along with me? It's like everyone around me expects it. But it's not like I'm fulfilling that expectation, of course!

   I held my breath.

Susan : Are you joking?

Jeremiah : No.

   Huh, maybe I had misunderstood things then. His answer, though, was so straightforward that another strange feeling coveted my heart. I felt weird in a . . . good way. What the hell was happening?!

Susan : But don't you already have a girlfriend?

Jeremiah : What? No I don't. Oh yeah, but you have a boyfriend, don't you? I'm just asking as a friend, you know, so—

   Seems like I had misunderstood the part about Tara too.

Susan : I don't have a boyfriend.

   I sounded way too prompt. Jeremiah closed his mouth mid-sentence and stared at me expectantly.

   I was supposed to say no. I was supposed to stay true to myself. But of all things, I wanted to be myself. And right then, my self wanted to say—

Susan : Hmph, I don't really care but alright. I'll come.

   Another worst part?
   It would be my first high school party ever!

   What had I gotten myself into?!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hola!
Let's get this party started!
Vote, Comment and share this story if you find it interesting!
And keep reading!
-Mallina