Pam

If things had to get weird, I'd have barely known that the evening of the beach party would be the time.

The weather was so fine, each bottle of drink that found its way into my hand was emptied within seconds. And the moods were lit. Even the thought of a well-built seventeen year old skipping through waves like a little child brought a smile to my face. So when it happened literally, I was downright pointing and doubling over with laughter at Raul. He was just so cute.
Raul waved to me each time he turned back, grinning like the fields on a monsoon day. I continued staring at him with a permanent grin etched on my own face for so long, I got absorbed in the moment.

Kaedan : Vibrant, isn't he?

I did not look for the source of the sound immediately.

Pam : Sigh . . . Yeah. So totally.

And then did I snap out of it and turn my head a ninety degrees to the left.

Pam : Ah! Kaedan!

I could've jumped out of my skin.
Such. An. Idiot. Am. I.

Kaedan : Drink?

I took the glass from him. We both stared out at the ocean for a while.

Kaedan : . . . What part of Raul made you like him so much?

Pam : Huh? What are you muttering about?

Kaedan : Yeah, never mind.

I stared sideways at him as silence ensued for a brief period.

Pam : His unlimited selflessness is what initially earned my regard for him.

Kaedan closed his eyes and tilted his head slightly backwards.

Kaedan : I see . . .

Pam : But that doesn't matter anymore- morelike, after I actually became his good friend, all he ever did was worry me. He always keeps ranting to me too. So it's never actually peaceful around him. Sometimes things he says make no sense whatsoever. . . Ahh, what am I gonna do with that kid? Or what is anyone ever gonna do with him? He's still so immature, you see. Unlike you though.

Kaedan : Heh . . .

Now I looked at him.

Pam : What? Why you sighing like that?

Kaedan : I'm not really sighing . . . It's just that it was true after all.

Pam : What's true?

Kaedan looked into my eyes for a moment.

Pam : What? What's with you suddenly?

Kaedan : Why? A boy can't look at his girlfriend?

Heat rushed to my face.
What was with this guy . . . .

The sun went down faster than I expected and soon it was dark enough to make everyone stumble through things if they strayed too far from the lamps. But luckily, the beach was full of them. Lamps, I mean.
Things were going smoothly. That is, until I noticed a similar scene.
I was leaning on the bar counter near the dance floor, waiting for another drink when at a distance, I spotted someone running. Like fast. Really fast. And there was only one person I knew who would choose to run at such a place and at such a time.
I was about to follow him in his wake when my hand was grabbed abruptly.

Kaedan : Pam, let's go dance.

Huh? Deja vu? Feels like I've heard something like that before. Or been in such a situation. . .