Jeremiah

Daniel : That match was quick! Don't you just love a great game?

Jeremiah : I don't even play basketball.

Daniel : But you can play it. And you do like it.

I never considered sports. I did have a fit enough physique, but signing up for a club or a team would be too troublesome. And it wasn't like I preferred a particular sport.

Jeremiah : Shrug. . . . . . . . . .

Daniel : Lau-

Jeremiah : Don't laugh. You laugh too much. You laugh at almost everything I say.

Daniel : . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Jeremiah : What?

Daniel : . . . . . I have a reason for that.

Jeremiah : Reason for what? Laughing? Seriously, Daniel? . . . Well of course, you do, but then. . . . . . . . Ah, never mind.

Daniel : No actually, I do mind. I want to tell you that reason.

I raised an eyebrow. Daniel sounded different. Tense in fact. And I'm pretty sure you've guessed already, that he's not that type of a guy to get tense over something like this. Except that is, if his reason had anything to do with it. I didn't want to continue the conversation because I was getting irritated. Luckily some girls squealed behind us and took our minds off the apparent topic of discussion.

Four boys walked past. Two of them had guitars slung over their shoulders.

Daniel : Ah, so the Lashers were performing today. Nick never fails to make those girls squeal.

Jeremiah : What a stupid name to name a band.

Daniel : Your comments are just hilarious.

Jeremiah : It was a fact that I stated right now, Daniel.

We walked to the auditorium and took up front row seats even though I didn't want to. The performances in the beginning of the show were way too boring. I almost dozed off half way through it. "Almost" being the keyword as the Lashers violently jerked me to complete wakefulness. They were that loud. They had the attention of all the girls in the place.

Jeremiah : How much longer is this gonna last?

Daniel : Funny you ask that now. The one after the Lashers' is the last performance.

Jeremiah : Oh great!

But somehow all the sarcasm vanished when the girl stepped onto the stage and started singing.

Suddenly, all the thoughts from my brain vanished. All my burdens disappeared for a fleeting moment. Her voice hypnotized me. My ears were brimming with vibrations filled with beauty. It was so calming. So peaceful. The whole place was quiet. It was only the girl's song and the piano's sound that echoed off the four walls.
I couldn't stop staring. I couldn't take my eyes off her.
My heart was floating. She caught my eye.
We both stared at each other. Her eyes shining. The staring seemed to continue on forever. I could see something between us. Like a bridge, a connection, locked because of her song. Because of the pleasing tranquility.

She looked away. I didn't. Instead I made a resolution.

I needed to know who she was.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A genteel reminder: They all go to the same school. . . . 
- Mallina