Jeremiah

I wanted to hit my head on a lamppost.

I realized how dumb it all had sounded after I'd actually said it to Susan. It was all that Raul's fault! He had tempted me into it. But then again, I knew that deep down I had wanted to talk to her.
Damn, why did she have to be so curt? So much so that I was forced into giving in.

Now I was looking forward to everything except Daniel's party.

Mrs Anderson : Jerry, are you going somewhere tomorrow?

Jeremiah : Yeah mom. Daniel's having a party.

Mrs Anderson : I see. I'm thinking you should stay with your uncle for sometime.

Jeremiah : Eh? Where's this coming from? Why?

Mrs Anderson : Nothing. Just a thought, Jerry. Never mind.

Huh. I frowned to myself.

The next day at school was disastrous. Everyone was muttering something or the other every time I walked past.

Jeremiah : Ah man, I'm sick of all of them.

Daniel : You seriously asked her out?

Jeremiah : Who?

Daniel : Susan, duh.

Something about his expression told me that Daniel wasn't feeling specifically great about it. In fact, he seemed riled up.

Jeremiah : No! Is this what it's all about?

Daniel : So you didn't. Everyone's been going crazy that you two are finally going out.

Jeremiah : What? No!

Daniel : I know, right? Stupid rumors.

Jeremiah : I just asked Susan to come with me to your party.

Daniel's eyebrows furrowed. I didn't like how he remained silent for the rest of the day. My inner instincts told me that joy wasn't etched in my fate for that day.
However, when I exited my house at seven in the evening, I found Susan right outside the door.

Jeremiah : How the—

Susan : I have my resources. Now shut up and let's go.

Wearing a white shirt over tight jeans, that girl wearing brown-rimmed glasses shut me up alright.
   What was with this girl? I couldn't help staring at her.
Unexpectedly, on entering Daniel's lively house packed with all the kids from school, my mood changed. My damp spirits rose when all the music filled my ears.

Daniel : Jeremiah! Took your sweet time getting here, didn't ya? . . . Ah, Susan. . . You're here too.

The change in his tone was so visible that I couldn't blame Susan rolling her eyes and walking away. And then it happened. Susan suddenly waved at me cheerfully before leaving my side. My stomach felt light. It was almost as if she was my—

Daniel : You seriously took me seriously when I said you were to bring another friend?

Jeremiah : . . . . Huh? What?

Daniel noticed the grin on my face before I could.

Daniel : What are you smiling about?

Jeremiah : —Oh . . . I'm smiling? . . Nothing. I'm not smiling about anything.

All I could think about was her wave. I stared at her getting a drink.
Susan could actually look pretty if she tried.
Daniel snapped me out of my reverie by grabbing my hand and pulling me inside his house.

Jeremiah : What, what?

Daniel glanced in the direction of Susan. People danced past us on both sides.

Daniel : Do you—

Jeremiah : Listen to this, Susan actually came to my house a few minutes ago. I don't even know how she got my address. She's so weird, right?

And yet, she made me . . . smile. I felt energized somehow.
My heart clenched at the realisation.
The music seemed to get louder.

Daniel : Hey . . . do—er— like— her then?

Jeremiah : Speak louder. I can't hear you properly.

Daniel did not look at me but his face scrunched up. He looked exceedingly despondent. He leaned in closer suddenly. I hesitated.

Jeremiah : What's—

Daniel : What would you do if I kissed you, Jeremiah?

I stopped.

  Huh?
HUH?!
HUUUUHHHHH???!!!

Jeremiah : What the hell do you—

Daniel stepped back immediately. His eyes looked away and he disappeared before I could say anything more.
I stood rooted to the floor, my mind racing faster than the wind. I gazed at Susan at a distance, then scanned the place trying to locate him. And as it all sunk in, I figured how messed up my situation was apparently. Exasperation seeped through me.

What had I gotten myself into?!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh flip!
Turn of events in Jeremiah's life!
I hope you guys are enjoying this story though. . .
Don't forget to vote, and COMMENT, also share this story with anyone you feel like!
-Mallina